ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt tensioner - is this normal?

Hope someone can advise me please.
Have just done cam belt with engine out on stand.
All timed up good - cam checking tool falls in with 0 effort!!
However when turning the engine over I notice that the alignment marks on the tensioner move? Obviously all is torqued up but the triangle on the tensioner moves slightly away from the square mark and back again, this may seem daft my asking but is this usual? Pics below.

IMG_2002.JPG

and this
IMG_2004.JPG

many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Does it move whilst the belt is in motion?
Or does it vary when the belt is stationary depending on where you cycle the engine to?

If the former then this is perfectly normal, if the latter then I couldn't be sure, but doesn't look like it is moving much so if it were me I would crack on.

Hi Loggyboy,
Thanks for response, it does it when I turn the engine over by hand. I am quite new to Renault engines and haven't had experience of tensioners like this before. (used to mk2 golfs where there is a solid tensioner!) I assume then its there to keep a constant tension on the belt?