ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt tensioner stud snapped.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all.
Looking for advice on what to do next.
The stud that holds the tensioner on has now snapped, was torquing up to 28nm and the stud just went ping, I imagine the torque wrench I've borrowed is to blame as it certainly felt more than what 28nm should. Here's me thinking borrowing a digital one would make life easier...
IMG-20210216-WA0010.jpeg

Apologies for the awful picture, the stud snapped, I threw all my tools down, locked up and went home in a strop.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Stud extractor and wind it out, then fit a new one.

Weren't using 28ftlbs were you? 😅
Is there anywhere that sells new ones that I can get tomorrow? Only got until the end of the week to get engine back in the car 🤦‍♀️
It was definitely in NM, I thought it felt too tight but thought I would give it another half turn in the hopes it would click, obviously heard a click but it wasn't from the torque wrench 😬

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Get some heat on that first if you can. I would use two nuts back to back then unscrew it.
Any clue on what size the stud is, thread and length - lots of cars use exhaust studs which look about that size
Might go ahead and purchase a stud extractor to try and make life easier!
No idea on the stud size, all I could tell you is it's a 13mm bolt that goes on it, didn't even look at the stud, just chucked my toys out the pram and stomped off home 🤭

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Is there anywhere that sells new ones that I can get tomorrow? Only got until the end of the week to get engine back in the car 🤦‍♀️
It was definitely in NM, I thought it felt too tight but thought I would give it another half turn in the hopes it would click, obviously heard a click but it wasn't from the torque wrench 😬

Renault should have them but chances of them being a stocked item might be low.

Could see if someone has a scrap head that they could remove one from.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Renault should have them but chances of them being a stocked item might be low.

Could see if someone has a scrap head that they could remove one from.
Would there be any harm in re-tapping the hole once the stud is out and using a long bolt instead?

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Not sure I like the idea of that really. It'll be a stud for a reason.
Hopefully I can find something tomorrow, the cars currently a bare shell and I have until this Monday coming to have it rebuilt and finished and off the ramp to make way for the boss' race car 🤦‍♀️