ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams for 1.8 16v turbo

Renault 5 gtt
I own a Renault 5 GT Turbo and have decided to put a 1.8 16v Turbo lump in it. So i joined up to get some help to see what works well with the turbo conversion. I have all the bits needed to finish this project and am after some advice on what cams to run.
I have a set of verniers and 3 sets of cams to choose from so do i run std cams or fast road piper cams R16VBP270H or ultimate road piper cams R16VBP285H. Now i have seen turboed 1.8 run with std and mild cams before but not with the 285's so can they be used or is there just to much overlap or is it going to run ok if i use a massive turbo. Any input would be cool especially from anyone who has used any of the cams above in the turbo conversion Thanks :)

Renault 5 gtt
Yeah i have spoken to coop at the rtoc national day at pod but will drop him a pm to see what he thinks :)

williams 2,seat leon
i personally wouldnt bother, i run a williams turbo lump with standard cams, and they make good power. if it aint broke.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Just had a look on piper and (if the profile measurements are correct) you'll be looking at 40 degrees overlap on the 270's and a massive 64 degrees overlap on the 285's. So I don't think theyll work very well, speak to Scoff or Andrew Cooke they might be able to offer some advice :)

Just had a look on piper and (if the profile measurements are correct) you'll be looking at 40 degrees overlap on the 270's and a massive 64 degrees overlap on the 285's. So I don't think theyll work very well, speak to Scoff or Andrew Cooke they might be able to offer some advice :)

I wouldn't bother looking at advertised duration and timing figures, they won't make any sense. What you want to look at is valve lift at TDC, that'll give you the best indication of how much overlap you really have. If you run a turbo similar to Stevieh then you can run similar cams and boost. With no knowledge of your turbo or engine I'd suggest keeping LATDC under 1mm.

Renault 5 gtt
Ok mr Cooke quick spec list :)
low comp wossner pistons at 82.5mm
forged steel conrods arp bolts
knife edged and balanced crank
lightened 172 flywheel
gasflowed head with bigger valves
1.4mm mls gasket
custom made inlet
pro-oxide exhaust manifold
bosch 044 fuel pump
evo 560cc injectors
t04e turbo with 0.63 turbine .50 cold side
external wastegate
adaptronic ecu (from scoff)
then just cams to choose but I have spoken to scoff about cams and was told it might work with a big turbo with maybe a few timing Tweeks but I wanted to see if anyone had run anything more than STD or mild cams with good results :)

I assume that's a T3/4 50 trim, stg3 turbine and .63a/r? if so it has a familiar ring to it ;) Assuming you have a reasonable exhaust manifold rather than a log I'd agree with Scoff, stick the 285s in. I'd also measure turbine inlet pressure, it'll be handy to understand what's going on. That turbo should be happy up to around 20psi.

Have you priced up a VAG gearbox? You'll need one.

Renault 5 gtt
Yes that looks like a very similar spec to my turbo ;) Yes i have looked into the vag boxes which i will invest in next year but want to run it in and sort out any issues first on std r5 gtt box :) i have a tubular manifold made by a company called pro oxide but cant find any info on the web looks good thou. Yep will have too look into how to test pressure in the manifold but the manifold has a little bung in it which is about half the size of a lambda sensor so it might come in handy. I have done a fair bit of reading on cams and now understand why so much overlap might be bad in the turbo setup but there are a few things that can be done to counteract this :) so i will run the 285's and see how i get on but if it don't work i can always put another set in :)

I'd probably drop them in at 110deg to start with, and see how you go from there.

That boss might be for EGT, so it'll be handy for a quick check of TIP as there's no point continuously monitoring that.

Renault 5 gtt
Yes had a look at some egt sensors and it looks the same size :) will drop in at 110deg and go from there :) thanks for the info.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
im running the piper 285's on my n/a setup and will very much doubt they are the best choice for a charged lump. piper use to sell a set of turbo spec cams and from memory they shared the same inlet as the 270's but was quite abit different on the exh cam side, think the exh side had a lot less duration, even less than std if i remember correctly. anyway it would be best to contact them with the specs of the eng and get them to spec a cam choice or just get them to make a turbo set for you.:)

R5GTT, 2L turbo
With 2 cams you have the option of only fitting the lairy inlet if you so decided ;) But as andy says 110deg as a minimum I think, you might find it responds better at higher boost if you spread them further still.

clio mk2
hi, im in process of building a 1.8 turbo engine using the megan f7r head. i also ahve the same cams available to use, i phoned piper direct and they advised me to set timing at 110 deg, they thought the 285 would produce some lag but the bh 270 shouldnt be as bad, but am wondering what benifit in power it will give over drivability?

Renault 5 gtt
Just looking back at some bits for my car and thought a little update is needed :) I ended up running a 285 inlet cam and a standard exhaust cam on my f7p build and the car made 374.9bhp @ 16 psi :) so the 285 cam seems to work well for a good spec engine :D this year I have pulled the engine out and I'm currently doing a vag box conversion. Oh and also adapted the manifold to take a second set of injectors so I can get the car somewhere near the 500bhp hmmmm might even do a project thread as I have loads of pictures over on the rtoc so wouldn't be hard to put over here :)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
never knew you're running the standard exhaust cam mate! still blown away by the power yours makes at only 16 psi!

Renault 5 gtt
Alright tutuur :) yes standard exhaust cam and the 285 inlet on standard timing marks. When I built it I checked all the timing but can't find where I wrote it all down so have just invested in a dti gauge to check what they are set to. It was still pulling at 7500 rpm and would have made more power but I didn't want to go to mad :) think I will check it all out and when I get back up to see scoff will advance inlet cam to get the power to come in earlier :) should put my graph up I keep forgetting so will sort that out tonight.