ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams, ITB's and a supercharger....excessive, cool, or pointless?

ph1 172
I already have Jenvey 45mm ITB's and GT cams (428 profile). Would adding a rotrex be pointless me having the ITB's or would it just be even better?:)

...Also, if the Rotrex and ITB's do work, will trumpet length play as big a part as a N/A engine? I have both 90mm and 120mm trumpets

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
throttle response is always a good improvement from having ITB's. Induction length is always important on any setup

ph1 172
Thanks Dan.

Will it also mean that because I already have mod's in place that should see around 205bhp I will therefore require less boost to hit the same bhp as if I had standard inlet and cams? Ideally I would like 260bhp, is this okay on a standard bottom end?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you won't be hitting that power, bit under 200 on ITB's and those cams normally.

only limitation you have is detonation and revs. I'd keep to a 7.2k limiter personally. Revs kill rods, detonation kills pistons.

All you can do is map it and see what it manages to make.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
you won't be hitting that power, bit under 200 on ITB's and those cams normally.

only limitation you have is detonation and revs. I'd keep to a 7.2k limiter personally. Revs kill rods, detonation kills pistons.

All you can do is map it and see what it manages to make.

Curiosity kills cats.

Audi A5
Sounds like an epic idea and I don't think it's ever been done on a f4r. Well I've never heard of/seen it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Funnily enough this is the setup I was looking at but was warned that it would be a nightmare to map and getting the ITB's to play nicely with the boosted setup would be troublesome. The recommendation was to sell the ITB's and go back to the standard airbox / inlet setup. As a result I've now started down the forged engine route but still not completely ruled out a 'charger of some sort.

ph1 172
No idea mate. All I can say is that I already have the ITB's and buying an RS2 would probably cost more than what I can sell the ITB's for

ph1 172
Funnily enough this is the setup I was looking at but was warned that it would be a nightmare to map and getting the ITB's to play nicely with the boosted setup would be troublesome. The recommendation was to sell the ITB's and go back to the standard airbox / inlet setup. As a result I've now started down the forged engine route but still not completely ruled out a 'charger of some sort.

How do supercharged bikes get on then? I read on Jenvey's site that they are capable of handling upto 6bar! I plan to run 0.5bar

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How do supercharged bikes get on then? I read on Jenvey's site that they are capable of handling upto 6bar! I plan to run 0.5bar

mapping and getting stable sensor readings gets tricky. you have to use trick pipework, or change to alternative mapping strategies like boost correction (uses a throttle based map, and adds a straight % of fuel on a boost pressure scale.

ph1 172
mapping and getting stable sensor readings gets tricky. you have to use trick pipework, or change to alternative mapping strategies like boost correction (uses a throttle based map, and adds a straight % of fuel on a boost pressure scale.

Sounds complex.....doable though Dan?

ph1 172
Also I know you don't like them Dan but would an Omex ecu suffice for this setup? Reason being is I already have an Omex loom

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With the supercharger providing such a consistant amount of boost at any given RPM, its actually far simple to map multithrottle on an ITB setup with a charger than it is with a turbo.

Wont really effect your peak power by much, as you say it will just allow you to hit the same thing at a psi or two less (efficiency is good :) ), but can help with throttle response slightly.

If you want the efficiency gains with the complexity then just remove the throttle plates and fit a shared plenum with a single throttle, this is how I have done similar in the past:
engine-side-on.jpg

you wont get the gains in throttle response, but like I said they will be tiny anyway so not really losing much.

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Sell itbs, buy a supercharger or turbo set up. I have had my 438s removed from my supercharged engine due to the engine being at its very limits for standard internals. Will be going back in when the engine is forged.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would an rs2 inlet not be better suited to this? As its simpler.

Excuse me if im wrong.

RS2 inlet would be ideal for a boost application, but you would need to alter the fittings in it potentially as they are push fit for sensors.