ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cams??

182cup/D40/Hornet
Gonna be getting cam/aux belts done soon and toying with idea of getting a cam put in,catcam/schrick.Basically is it worth?
Gonna be looking at approx £1k(i think)
Quite fancy a turbo on after seeing ashy's 5 but don't know whether I could justify forking out on a turbo kit

Lionel Richie
can you drive (and i mean properly?) i'd be spending the cash on instruction, worth way more than 20bhp

182cup/D40/Hornet
well I think I can drive,wouldn't say I know everything or I'm the best etc.etc.etc.So not saying tution would be a waste but not really my cup of tea as I've had plenty 'driving' experience and tution in an occupational sense.

whereabouts "up north" are you based, i have schricks fitted and would be happy to show you mine :)

But yes cam fitment at same time a have the cambelt changed will save you mucho ££

A good idea would be to find out how much power your car is running in the first place, the power gains are high up to so be prepared to rev its tits off

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
now now girls, let me know what they are like? would any of he bigger renault tuners do a group buy as such as i am kinda interested depending on cost.

182cup/D40/Hornet
whereabouts "up north" are you based, i have schricks fitted and would be happy to show you mine :)

But yes cam fitment at same time a have the cambelt changed will save you mucho ££

A good idea would be to find out how much power your car is running in the first place, the power gains are high up to so be prepared to rev its tits off

Durham,had it on the rollers about a month ago,apparently running 186bhp,open i/k,elbow,sports cat,janspeed back
Nice of you to offer,how close?

182cup/D40/Hornet
its the last thing i'd spend money on tbh, ££'s vs bhp = crap

brakes, suspension, seats, exhaust, done

Seats are something else I would be after as the 'cup' items are alittle bit exciting at times!

quality isn't the best and its only from 35 to 100mph but may or may not be helpful :)

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RjDiCWils[/YOUTUBE]

I'm based over manchester way mate, haydock other side of the country i think haha

After you have fitted the cams you will need the car live mapping to suit aswell, which is even more cash, i highly recommend RS tuning based in leeds (pmurray on here)

ps has my youtube link worked cos i cant see it???

just in case http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RjDiCWils

Last edited:
  182cup/D40/Hornet
Yeah,pretty far to go for a quick spin lol.Have heard good reports about RS Tuning,was going to get an RSTuner(when they come instock)and hopefully get Henk to map it,if this is possible?

182cup/D40/Hornet
quality isn't the best and its only from 35 to 100mph but may or may not be helpful :)

[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RjDiCWils[/YOUTUBE]

Right,know what you were on about now lol.Link didn't come up but watched clicky on last post....seems smooth power from 30 upwards,so the power you get from them is 5k upwards or higher?
Btw you need fuel ;)

Yeah,pretty far to go for a quick spin lol.Have heard good reports about RS Tuning,was going to get an RSTuner(when they come instock)and hopefully get Henk to map it,if this is possible?

RS tuning is based in leeds, the RS tuner is a product offered by Fastchip which are based in Holland

I'm sure Henk would do a top job, but Paul is extremely good and very professional at what he does, you will not get better results.

182cup/D40/Hornet
RS tuning is based in leeds, the RS tuner is a product offered by Fastchip which are based in Holland

I'm sure Henk would do a top job, but Paul is extremely good and very professional at what he does, you will not get better results.

Just thinking if I was adding/changing things in future may be more cost effective with Fastchip,just something else to consider.May be better off getting all the things I want then driving down to Leeds as it's about 90 miles,I'll obviously bear it in mind

ha yeah i do lol, was going up a slight gradient too - every little counts....so that makes it fair

just looking over my figures from before i had any work done to my car to now, i have lost a little torque low down. however

peak bhp before 156.0 after 176.2
@ 5500rpm 145 plays 162
@ 6500rpm 156 plays 173
@ 7250rpm (old limiter) 150 plays 172
the cams maintain over 170 bhp to the higher limit of 7800rpm, so from 5500 rpm the car makes near enough 20bhp more over a 2300 rpm range

the 5k "kick" doesn't exist anymore, just smooth

also @ 7000 rpm the car is making 19lb/ft more

torque peak before is 140lb/ft after 155lb/ft

i would like to state for the rolling road police that different rollers cannot be compared, only the same set came be used for "before and after" results

to clarify my car has ITG panel filter, schricks, decat, matched inlets and remap

182cup/D40/Hornet
Yeah agree on the rr,different places different results.I just find driving mine at times abit like riding a 2 stroke bike,below 5 nothing or not much over 5 on song.Could do with that bit more to keep it on song either abit earlier or enough to get it over 5 if you know what I mean.Before anyone jumps in and says 'well drop a gear if it's not over 5'sometimes it makes no difference because it's above the range in a lower gear.

doubt cams will do that for you dude as my torque is only greater from 4k, cams do make it peaky but it does last longer ;) a simple remap would help/getting an RS tuner, but with the cambelt service coming up its too good of an op to turn down the cams....

i think a 182 manifold is on the cards for me to get back that torque....

182cup/D40/Hornet
Lasting longer is always a good thing lol.I know what your saying cams top end something like bodies bottom end?
Now there's something else to consider but like you say it's kinda if I'm getting it pulled to bits for belts it's rude not to get them in

really? didn't know that dan, suppose that adds to the expense then!! Bugger....

why's that? gets in the way?

itbs are good but supercharging is the next big thing... anyway thats a whole other topic

I'll deffo be doing either ITBs or supercharger at some point this summer, it'll be a tough descision as the charger will offer alot more power, however even with the power i have now the car struggles to put its power down.

i know you can fit a set of 888's (i will) but its a daily year round driver so winter performance will suffer

ITB'd MK1
get a ATB Quifi(sp) do one about £750 plus fitting

well worth it when you have a high torque setup (boosted). I've driven turbo clios with and without and it makes a huge difference. Not convinced of the benefits when you're still NA, it's not an area I've personally been left wanting

ha so realistically to supercharge mine:

4k give or take kit fitted, prob a little less
1k coilovers
4pot coversion kit £800
diff 750

£6550 OUCH!

suppose afew quid could be saved here and there lol

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Catcams 420s
matched inlets
Powerflow SS exhaust + decat

Produced this graph at RStuning on our PH1 (PH1s are quicker :p) check the temp as well. :D

Picture020-1.jpg

And our ITBs produced

RSTuning23-12-081.jpg

cat cams give you a range of different profiles, so you can pick how severe you want the effect to be

schrick just offer the one set but are generally higher quality i believe and more expenive, though not to say theres anything wrong with the catcams. both are made from a billet. you can get regrinds from piper for a fraction of the cost which will do the trick, but beware they will make you car very tappety, and put more stress on the engine

182cup/D40/Hornet
I think I would give piper cams a miss,would rather pay more for piece of mind.
I read somewhere they usually run 428 catcams?

ITB'd MK1
cat cams give you a range of different profiles, so you can pick how severe you want the effect to be

schrick just offer the one set but are generally higher quality i believe and more expenive, though not to say theres anything wrong with the catcams. both are made from a billet. you can get regrinds from piper for a fraction of the cost which will do the trick, but beware they will make you car very tappety, and put more stress on the engine

Catcams are better from the perspective of being able to choose appropriate profiles for the application. Dont like shrick, mostly because of the extended alignment slot in the exhaust cam. (I showed you one that had moved I think)

disagree pipers put more strain on anything, they just tap sometimes.