ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anybody explain to me

Might sound like a bit of a daft question.....

What exactally throttle bodies are, how they work and how much power increase you can expect? Can they be fitted to any car?

And I know this is slightly off topic for a Clio board, but could they be fitted to a 1.6 Nova GSi Turbo? The car is currently running 170bhp, what could I be expecting after fitting? And whats the cost normally?

Reason why I ask is I am pondering buying this car to run alongside my Clio, but want to make it faster....

Cheers!
Tim

Throttle bodies are quite hard to set up on a turbod engine. There not really designed for that sort of application.

Doh! Thats that idea out of the window then.

Any other ways of eeeking more power from that engine. I dont really want to go down the N2O route......

Throttle bodies are simply carbs with nothing inside (ie no jet, float and no venturi) bar the butterfly and injector (unless the injector is of the shower variety).
Air is just left with a smooth inlet to the head, with efficient dispersal of fuel. Basically!

you can fit them to almost any car, but sorting out the inlet naifold is hardest if they cant be fitted direct to head.

you wont be able to use them with a turbo unless it was designed for this purpose. mst turbo cars have a single throttle body or carb which all air is forced through.

N20 would be the simple solution to power, and cheaper than throttle bodies by about 1/4 of the price.

Best way to get power, would to be to work on the head an turbo internals.

The cars got a Garrett turbo on it at the minute, but I know its not running stupid amounts of boost due to the fact the convesion is still under warrenty. Might have to investigate methods of reliably getting more boost from it when I buy it...

Ideally would like ot see 200bhp from it, though dont know if this is a realistic aim....

yeah, not t hard to achieve witha turbo.
1.6 8V right?
just port the head extensively, as far as you dare!! especially the exhaust ports since its a turbo.

Get a turbo profile cam if it hasnt got one already.

what size is the turbo?

i can port the head if you want, for about 250...no probs.

Already got the cams. Yeah its a 1.6 8v. It my mates car, he wanted £4000 for it (the turbo conversion cost 3000, then 800ish for cams) I offered him £3500 and he said I can have it. Just got to get the money together now.

Is that a good price, its on a J-Plate? Including buying the car and insuring it hes spent well over 10k on it. Its the fastest hot hatch Ive ever been in, and the acceleration when moving was on a par with my mates saph cossie.

yeah, i got the stuff from john today. cheers.

i think that is still a bit expensive for a nova no matter what engine it got in it. But if you think its worth it, go for it. But the novas shell is notoriously weak and the front turrets can split from the shell, is it strenthened?

its a lot of money for an old j reg nova with a turbo slapped on. too much really. car prices have dropped big time, your mate needs to realise this.

Its seam welded.

The car (and bodywork enspecially) are in tip top condition. Its been only driven out of term time at university.

The way I see it, to get that power out of my car Id be spending a lot more than 3500. Id run both cars together as you cant beat the economy of the clio I have now.

Well to turbo the clio Id either need a GT Turbo conversion. Then Id need to spend well into the thousands modding that engine to make it as fast and as reliable as the nova

OR

A valver lump transplant then turbod. Again costing well in excess of the cost of the Nova. I love my Clio, thats why I dont want to get rid of it, I just want a fast toy, that people will look at and think its not as fast as it is

MK1 or MK2 XR2!!!!!!
i got a MK1 (best loking and handling) with nothinig done to the engine bar a competition 4-2-1 manifold and exhaust system.

oh, and custom spax adj damper all round, lowered 2 1/2".

its really surprises everyone, at track days, i can get round porsches and the lot casue its got amazing corner speed.

its as dast as my mates MK1 golf GTI and its only got 86bhp standard. But to get about 135 is only 1000 quid away. and the car only costs 550 quid for a minter.

for a 20yr old car, i use it more than my clio..its just such a hoot.

Ive seen a turbod one at York dragway, it bloody shifted!

I look forward to stuffing a 172 when I get the Nova lol! I hate getting toasted by them at the minute....