ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone help please

Hi,
Im looking for some advice, help, ideas.

I fitted this battery - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Pre...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ad550efb

To my 172 cup 2 weeks ago and all was well, I went on a 350 mile round trip with no issues. However I went to start the car Friday morning turned the key and car would not start. Lights, radio etc all work so there is power to the car. I disconnected both battery terminals, cleaned the TDC sensor then re-connected the battery a short while later and the car started first time. I thought all was ok until I went to start the car again this evening, turned the key and once again it would not start. Disconected the battery and then re-connected it and it started again.

Could this be an issue with the battery? The Immobiliser light goes out when I turn the key, any help appreciated Thanks.

Clio RS200
Maybe worth just buying another one and trying it as its an intermitant fault. If that doesn't work just take it back to Halfrauds and they'll refund you if you tell them its buggered, (Just tell them the AA gave you a new one) and if it does work, throw the other one in the bin.

ph2 Clio 172
Nothing to do with the battery man, when you disconnect the battery and put it back on its reseting whatever the problem is, im not sure what the problem is though, is it cranking the engine when it dosent start?

Nothing to do with the battery man, when you disconnect the battery and put it back on its reseting whatever the problem is, im not sure what the problem is though, is it cranking the engine when it dosent start?

No mate not cranking, fuel pump primes thats about all it does

The map sensor is not in the best condition, It broke and i have glued it back together. Could this be causing the problem?

Yeah thats what I thought mate, Well today I have removed the fuses and relays and cleaned them all with electrical contact cleaner. Still will not start

Yeah thats what I thought mate, Well today I have removed the fuses and relays and cleaned them all with electrical contact cleaner. Still will not start

so what happens you turn the key , you get ignition lights and nothing ? or is the a little click under the bonnet? just thinking maybe wiring down to the starter has been disturbed changing the battery ?

why did you change the batt ? because of the same fault ?

Changed the battery because it's old and my trip computer keeps re-setting itself, I turn the key get all the lights on the dash. Then they all go off except the "stop" and "battery" light. I then get a click from the engine bay and nothing ........

Update

Think I may have found the problem -

Clio.jpgClio 2.jpg

As you can see above the cable coming from the earth has frayed, looks as though it has been rubbing on the metal. Does anyone know what this cable does? and how easy it is to repair?

ph2 Clio 172
Just follow the cable to see where it leads, it must be your problem though, a repair would involve a new earth wire of the same gauge, if theres enough cable there to play with you could cut the cable and strech it to fit to the orginal position.

I have got what I need to repair it mate just finding the time to sort it out now, Hopefully will have chance tomorrow afternoon. I will report back and let you know

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Stick it in third/fourth and rock/move the car a bit (rotating the starter motor slightly) could be bad segments on the motor armature.

172 berg, Fabia VRS
Have you sorted this mate, i had similar issues when i changed the battery and found that resetting the immobiliser did the trick

Not really mate no, I went out this morning and turned the key and it started? I will probably do the same tommorrw morning and it wont start. Its an intermittent fault but has got worse, I had it running for about half hour earlier and I noticed a strange click/ticking noise coming from the cambelt area also.

172 berg, Fabia VRS
Im not sure about the clicking noise but mine was doing the same in not starting, i had the front end in pieces trying to figure it out, had my head battered but seen a thread on here about resetting the immobiliser and it fired up first time :) its never done it since either. Give it a try and Good luck with it mate as i know how frustrating it is!

Ok, I had another go at this today and managed to get it started. Took the the key out shut the door and got back in the car and it started once again first time. However I locked it, unlocked it and tried to start it again and got nothing? So it seems to work as long as it stays unlocked. anyone else have anymore ideas? thanks.