ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I please get your opinion on these R26's?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the market for an R26. I was going to view these two cars this weekend but both owners had to postpone due to other commitments. I'll try and reschedule viewing for another day this week, if they don't sell by then.

Car 1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162364647582?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Car 2: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262819760498?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I find car 1 appealing due to the suspension refresh (2014: Steering arms, tie rods, Eibach springs, front shocks, drag link, driveshaft gaitors.) and new clutch (7/2015) it's had. It's due belts this year so the price is actually around £4600. What confuses me is the 244hp power output following the remap. Not that I need more power but it's about 10-15hp less than the common figures I see on the forums, which makes me think whether there's a problem with the engine. Remap was done before the intercooler upgrade. That explains lower power to some extend, I think?

Car 2 is appealing for better brakes, belts having done last year, new Conti Sportcontact 5's and the black finish. I am not sure about the 270hp remap done by Storm Developments though. Does anyone have experience with them? Also no work has been done on the suspension so Car 1 is likely be tighter than car 2.

I'm buying this car to go back to tracking after 6 years of driving boring cars. It will be looked after but it will also be pushed on track so the way it drives and reliability comes before additional bits / power / better looks.

Which one would you go for and why, please comment. Also if you know other / better R26's on sale for similar price, please let me know.

Many thanks

Okan

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
37   0   0
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The second one was 5700. I don't know either but was very keen on the first but it's 4 hours away :(

Trader Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
  Peugeot 308
My gut instinct is with the second one personally.

Edit - After looking at the MOT history, maybe not.

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
  Peugeot 308
What makes you say that out of interest

I think it looks better from a personal POV.

Having said that, looking at its current MOT suggests the OP's suspension concerns;

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date22 July 2016
  • Expiry date24 July 2017
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading71,240 miles
  • MOT test number7301 7591 5815
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
    rear brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened corrosion on surface (3.5.1i)
    nearside front Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
    offside front Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
    Oil leak ()

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've blindly bid on the first car but didn't meet the reserve, which is probably £4100. I'll try to go and see the car tomorrow. It's last a few MOT's are OK but older ones gives the impression it may not have had the easiest life. I'll post again tomorrow / when I see the car.

whats your budget?

I can push £5500 a sorted one with relatively low milage.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
37   0   0
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The one we spoke about. Wouldnt be a car that inspired me to drive to view.

Price wise seems okay. These (r26) seem to be an ass to sell and the prices dont hold anymore imo.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Clio 172
Yeah I've noticed that. Very very good ones still get 6kish, but I was shocked to see so many around £4k.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Fake decals on the first black one. Looks ok tho. They're bargains at the mo these things - defo the right time to be buying.
There will always be niggles to sort on them though, but it's a Renault, doesn't break the bank.

I'd rather get a cheaper one and get all the work done myself, which is what I did (minus the 'buying it cheap'! I'm just mega impatient)