ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I put 17's on my 172?

Ph2 FF 172
Hi all,

As you guys are the experts... Can you tell me if I can put 17 inch rims straight on my 172 without any arch mods?

\what is the best tyre size?

And finally, if anyone else has done it, do they rub at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

Mk4 .:R32
I had 17's on the car when I first got it, looks pap and handled pretty pap as well. 16s are the happy medium of looks and handling on a clio imo

172 rs
im in the same postion as i want some new rims for my car and cant find any 16s that i like most companys are stocking 17s ive got my heart set on the new dotz hanzo alloys which are sexy as but do i compromise handling for looks

ClioSport -01
I´dont understand people in here. They can lower the car 60mm ore more, but put 17s on is pap?
17s doesn´t make the car worse. Less rubber on the rim=better handling
But then they say its so bumpy whit 17s, but still they can lower the car 60

Why do you find that hard to comprehend?

I'm not the only one in here who's replaced their 16s with 17s only to return to 16s and vow never to go near a set of 17s again. They simply do not drive as well on 17s. You only have to look around on here at any of the guys who track their cars alot or are serious about handling over looks and you'll find none are running 17s, thats not a coincidence...

ClioSport -01
Why do you find that hard to comprehend?

I'm not the only one in here who's replaced their 16s with 17s only to return to 16s and vow never to go near a set of 17s again. They simply do not drive as well on 17s. You only have to look around on here at any of the guys who track their cars alot or are serious about handling over looks and you'll find none are running 17s, thats not a coincidence...

Jup, and it´s like, "Go for turinis" "go for speedline". No one in here dare to do something thats different. And you can not say that 17s is bad. I have 17s on my weight 7kg each! just the potholes is the problem but you can still drop the car 60?

Meg 230 f1
i got 17's on mine and they are right the handling is reduced a bit but get what you want if your not going to drive round a track or road streets at high speed then its your choice

mine
SNV30425.jpg

Ph2 FF 172
Bloody hell fella's I didn't mean to start domestic... There seems to be some very strong/different opinions between the ranks!

I appreciate that the handling will suffer as that is usually the case with most performance cars.

My main concern however was confirmed today when a spotty little oik at Halfords told me I'd need to modify the car in order to slame 17's on it. Obviously I asked him to check with Wolfrace (mainly due to the fact he had his name badge upside down... Not inspiring any confidence) who also seemed to think the tyres would jut out from the body.

Any ideas guys? Was my achne covered helper right? Please help!

J

jarfun123

I got 17s and cant tell the difference, thinks its all talk, the overall circumference is within 2% the same and with thinner tyre wall they should be less flex.

Stick to ET37 with a 205.45 tyre and you shouldnt have issues with rubbing unless dropping over 40mm and in that case you can usually get away with just trimming back the front arch liner and bending the wing/bumper bracket back.

Sweden, I'm not one for jumping on bandwagon's I did the 17s thing a long time ago on my old 172 prior to the "stick turini's on it" crew voiced their opinions on here. The difference was even more obvious when I swapped back to the 16s. When I uprated the wheels on the 182 I went for lightweight 16s and no they werent turini's they were pro race 2's.

The mk2 clio cup race cars don't run 17's nor do the mk2 clio rally cars so what does that tell you...

ClioSport -01
My buddy club 17s is even lighter then speedline´s 15s so performance is the same. And handling is great. I think, just that every one in this forum complain over 17s they dont dare to be dif just for bad comments.

Playing devils advocate here but have you weighed the tyres? ;) Everyone quotes weights on their wheels but seem to conveniently forget the black round things that they fit to them.

Ph2 FF 172
OK chaps, I think I'm gonna go for it and hit up some 17's. I'm not a street racer nor do I go on track days so it really is about the look. However, that said I will keep my original 16's and take them over to my dads for storage. He lives about 45 minutes from the Nurberg ring. HAPPY DAYS!
Thanks for all the info dudes!

The standard wheels are bloody heavy on 172s but certainly wouldnt be any harm leaving them there. If they're only for occasional dry use maybe invest in some road legal track oriented tyres like R888 or michelin pilot cup tyres when the current ones wear out.

ClioSport -01
Playing devils advocate here but have you weighed the tyres? ;) Everyone quotes weights on their wheels but seem to conveniently forget the black round things that they fit to them.

From standard my wheels is even lighter WHIT tyres.
And you still have super lightweight wheels as Volk 18*8,5=6,8kg each!
So big is not always bad for performance.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Having had 16' and 17's I can say that the 17's were definitely 1/2" bigger in diameter. So when changing wheels only it is noticable. 17's actually raise the car, cost more....tyres too and the only plus side is looks. If thats what your after...go for it. I sold mine and kept my ever so common Turinis:rasp:

OK chaps, I think I'm gonna go for it and hit up some 17's. I'm not a street racer nor do I go on track days so it really is about the look. However, that said I will keep my original 16's and take them over to my dads for storage. He lives about 45 minutes from the Nurberg ring. HAPPY DAYS!
Thanks for all the info dudes!

Good plan, i've got 17s on at the mo. Basically cos I got them nice and cheap and I liked the look. Everything fits a treat but not too keen on handling/ride with them on tbh. I've kept my tired looking turini's and once refurbed will probably go back on for the summer when i'm doing more driving and the roads are in better condition. I've decided to keep both sets and swap them about as and when the mood takes me.