ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can ISPs block torrent's?

GRRR

My torrent's at this time are either stupidly slow or just not working at all. Im using Azureus and all was fine until I got a snidey email from Tiscali for overuse. They have now placed me on a slightly different plan for heavy users and it was exactly at this point that my torrent's are now slooooooow. Normal downloads are fine, I can still get 100K+ just the torrent's.

Is there anyway of getting around this or indeed finding out?

Steve

I believe some ISPs (most) can do what they call "traffic shaping" and I think they can block torrents. I don't know how it works, but mine slows them down at peak tmes if you've over your monthly usage figure.

Maybe something to do with the ports that you are connecting on... try searching for some info on google.

Traffic ahaping according to various site's is un-work roundable :(

The port is on 6881...I've tried various other random port's but still no joy.

Time to change ISP!

UR 197, AB 182 FF
This is very true. I believe azeurus (sp) recommends you put a 1 in front of the defualt port if you are experiencing slow transfers.

Port has been changed, speed's are still shocking :( Encryption has been set to on but still no joy. The file's I am downloading have plenty of users as well so there shouldn'y be a problem on that side..arse!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Try using something else . I use Bit tornado , happy with speeds of between 100 and 200 :) obviously depending on seeds .
If your still gettin slow speeds then maybe your isp is puttin some kind of block on your downloads .

my isp has just introduced traffic shaping. Alot of people have said that if u put encryption on the isp cannot tell what traffic it is therefore it will not shape it. I have not tried this yet myself as not downloaded anything. I found that changing the default port to something else is better. Everyone ive spoke to who has used tiscali said they are shite. Id move ISP's if I were u.

Der Panzer
At the end of the day, no ISP can stop peer to peer or the internet would crumble.

There are always ways around things. Google is your friend. :cool:

Bulldog or Pipex have been great ISPs for me, I've downloaded tens of gigs worth every month, no dramas.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Andy182Cup said:
Bulldog or Pipex have been great ISPs for me, I've downloaded tens of gigs worth every month, no dramas.

I'm with Pipex, and have been downloading all the new movies since being with them in 2004. Like he said, no problems at all!

Having spoken with Tiscali I got the impression that they are indeed limiting torrent traffic, I now have the MAC code so I'm on the look out for a new ISP! Quite tempted to go back to Demon, used to be with them back in t'day and they were spot on. I would like genuine unlimited for £14.99 a month and reliability!

Both encryption and changing the port's did nothing for me at all.

Focus ST-2
raf182 said:
Traffic ahaping according to various site's is un-work roundable :(

The port is on 6881...I've tried various other random port's but still no joy.

Time to change ISP!

Was happening to me as well, says on the website, don't use ports in the 6881-6999 range - change it now if you still do, despite Azureus' default port being 6881. i change my port ever week.

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/NAT_problem

go to this part of the site and follow link https://grc.com/x/portprobe=52525 works for me.