ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Reverse Gear Blocked - Intermittently

Clio 197
Hi there, new to the forum but I’m just after a little advice if possible as no one local to me can understand what could be going on with the reverse selection in my Clio 197!

So, a bit of a random one but I've recently purchased a Clio 197 which is an amazingly fun piece of kit, but every now and then I can't engage last gear... It's not as if it's trying to get in and grinding or anything and when it does decide to select reverse it's absolutely fine as if there is no issue. All forward gears are perfect and it has had a new box under warranty 20k ago with a new clutch to match. I have a KTR induction kit fitted at the moment and the most recent mechanic seems to think that maybe that is interfering with the selector cables...

It is like the selector is completely blocked off going in to reverse, although it has done it after normal driving, it seems to happen more often after a slightly more spirited run. By lifting the collar, the gear stick moves across as it should but just won't slide up in to reverse gear no matter how hard you try and force it… As the box does seem fine, I’m convinced it’s a worn linkage bush or something along those lines. No one I have spoken to has come across this in the past and there is no forum threads at all!

Can anyone help? :) Cheers!

Clio 200
When it next does it, switch the engine off and then try - should rule out if its clutch/slave cylinder related.

The usual problem with these boxes (aside from s**t synchros!) is physically not being able to select gears when cold - usually fine once warm so yours is the opposite you are saying. Most people try new gearbox oil and bleed the hydraulic fluid first - though as the slaves are s**t it's often not fully resolved until replaced.

Never heard of the cables being fowled by an induction install, but surely it's only 10mins to whip the cone and heat shield out and make sure it's installed correctly.

Clio 197
I could be the gear linkage needs greasing, its under the airbox / induction kit, so that will need to be removed. I would check that first, hopefully an easy fix !

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I'd go with linkage or maybe something small like a gearbox mount so the box isn't sitting perfectly.

Clio 197
Cheers guys, I'm sure it's linkage related also but as Typhoon says, it does feel more as if the box may be shifting if I go over a bump and then wiggling back in to place if I drive over another, could that be possible?! The problem still persists even when the car is off which would suggest something is jamming? I just had a response from KTR and they seem to think that it could cable related so I'll investigate that too and report back with my findings. They said - There's two small clips on top of the box to hold the cables in place, and if they come unstuck it can sometimes cause the stick to jam.

I'll be back! Thanks again.

Clio 200
Yeah if it did it with the engine running and then was fine immediately after with the engine off - it would point to clutch/slave IME. However as you describe, more likely linkage related.

Clio 197
Hi all, just to let you know the score with reverse.... It was as I feared an internal issue and needed the gearbox removing. Having been an intermittent problem for about two weeks, the reverse gear finally decided to jam-up and block-off completely (as I was jammed in to a corner of the office car park conveniently) so I took it to DJ Transmissions in Shrewsbury who began work on the car the next day. It was discovered that a selector shaft spring??? had snapped and was then causing the blocking off problem as it was not allowing the linkage to engage reverse gear. Unfortunately, due to the spring snapping, it also caused damage to the gear itself too meaning a whole reverse gear hub was needed. A £650 job all in. Hopefully I've just been real unlucky this time and it doesn't happen to anyone else! DJ Transmissions were super efficient and communicative too so if there's anyone in the Shropshire area with a problem then I'd recommend.