ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can Overrun map cause Damage!

AB Clio 182 FF
hi ,
recently put the overrun map on my car and just wondered if all the pops,bangs and flames can cause any damage , i.e blow up the engine , set on fire lol ,

thanks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It'll only damage the boy racers egos when you leave them in a cloud of pops and flames :approve:

But I don't know the ins and outs but I'm sure overfuelling isn't good for the car... Not sure if it'll cause any damage to the engine though.

And while we are on the subject I got an awesome pop in the bottom level of asdas car park lol :approve:

AB Clio 182 FF
It'll only damage the boy racers egos when you leave them in a cloud of pops and flames :approve:

But I don't know the ins and outs but I'm sure overfuelling isn't good for the car... Not sure if it'll cause any damage to the engine though.

And while we are on the subject I got an awesome pop in the bottom level of asdas car park lol :approve:

Haha yh I love it lol call me immature but it's awesome I have been gettin some right flames :)

Hopefully it won't damage oat , I haven't seen anything on here about it causing damage

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Does it do it over a certain rpm? Occasional little pops are mint but I saw a corsa that exploded every time the guy tool his foot off the accelerator, it was ridiculous!

Pm chip-mk1, I'm sure he'll be able to help

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
No, as long as you have a decat, as it'll wreck the cat otherwise. If you tried to set up the map yourself then sure you could cause damage, but the ones available are fine. It's just chucking a bit of fuel in on the over run and a bit of advance

Still think it's a bit gay on a standard engine though, should come naturally or not at all.

And it cannot burnt out valves, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
it can also seriously damage your credibility as you 'pop and bang' out of the high street and people turn round to expect some high powered beast and see a renault clio. might as well stick some lexus lights on the back too!

Sorry, but my opinion of course. I am an old fart tho.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I'll let off the occasional fart when warm ;) and that's after asking to have them mapped out! The JMS one is too much IMO, it's just essentially bad mapping. It wears thin after a week

It will only do it above 4000rpm iirc.

More than likely it will ruin the various sections of the exhaust, backboxes will take a hammering. From a detailing pov, I would expect you would see a lot of excess fallout on the rear of the car as a result of the overfueling.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It will only do it above 4000rpm iirc.

More than likely it will ruin the various sections of the exhaust, backboxes will take a hammering. From a detailing pov, I would expect you would see a lot of excess fallout on the rear of the car as a result of the overfueling.

That explains my tailpipes lol!

AB Clio 182 FF
Yh only does it over 4k rpm do it ain't popping all the time , lamba sensors already crap anyway lol

I have full scorpion stainless steel exhaust from decat back , standard manifold though lol

AB Clio 182 FF
it can also seriously damage your credibility as you 'pop and bang' out of the high street and people turn round to expect some high powered beast and see a renault clio. might as well stick some lexus lights on the back too!

Sorry, but my opinion of course. I am an old fart tho.

I dont know what you mean ;) The Clio is high powered lmao

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hmmm I remember asking about this remap and was told the bang is not from over fuelling.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Someone told me it was to do with timing rather than overfueling???

it's both, although on the standard ECU, there's a lot of fuel been chucked in due to the primary load type (MAP sensor) It's a lot easier to control it and not just lob fuel in on Alpha N (TPS based) setups.

potential damage can happen to:

Lambda
cat
exhaust baffles

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
it's both, although on the standard ECU, there's a lot of fuel been chucked in due to the primary load type (MAP sensor) It's a lot easier to control it and not just lob fuel in on Alpha N (TPS based) setups.

potential damage can happen to:

Lambda
cat
exhaust baffles

you know I don't speak spanish!!

As said, cat, lambda and silencers. As if looking a right dickhead isn't enough to put you off the idea in the first place.

Mini Cooper S sport
When I hear pops and bangs on anything which isn't a rally/super/racing car, I think 'knob end'. That's your biggest problem.

Hopefully it'll end up annoying you as much as everyone else and you'll change it.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
The occasional and genuine pop/bang from a proper set up on the over run is epic. A loud pop everytime you change gear is proper sh*t.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
The occasional and genuine pop/bang from a proper set up on the over run is epic. A loud pop everytime you change gear is proper sh*t.

this

My mk1 sounded badboy and it only did it when i told it to

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Causing a small explosion in the exhaust cant exactly be good for it, can it? :p

Bit chavvy but sometimes its nice. i like a burble rather than a bang

AB Clio 182 FF
Yes IMO , oxy sensor and exhaust.
But much worse is the fact it will make you look a complete w**ker on overrun in a Clio !!!

I must be a w**ker then :)

As said, cat, lambda and silencers. As if looking a right dickhead isn't enough to put you off the idea in the first place.

must also be a di**head ;)

When I hear pops and bangs on anything which isn't a rally/super/racing car, I think 'knob end'. That's your biggest problem.

Hopefully it'll end up annoying you as much as everyone else and you'll change it.

and i supppose i must be a kn** end too :)

I ask for a genuine piece of advice , but people feel the need to jump in and call me all the names they can :)
why not just think hmmm he's a tw** , and keep your opinions and name calling to your self , any one would think it was a forum for under 16's lol

cheers to all the lads that actually gave some advice appreciate you taking your time to right a genuine post

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I must be a w**ker then :)

must also be a di**head ;)

and i supppose i must be a kn** end too :)

I ask for a genuine piece of advice , but people feel the need to jump in and call me all the names they can :)
why not just think hmmm he's a tw** , and keep your opinions and name calling to your self , any one would think it was a forum for under 16's lol

cheers to all the lads that actually gave some advice appreciate you taking your time to right a genuine post

fair play. enjoy. How did you manage to sort your RS Tuner issue out by the way? Got to say you seemed pretty calm about it being off the road when it happened! sorted now tho.

Mini Cooper S sport

I think the whole silly loud exhaust phase is seen as impressing the under 16s.

The people viewing pops and bangs as immature and annoying are the more 'experienced' members of the forum - and also the ones who know their way around an engine (myself excluded).

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

I was behind marinemackay in his 106 coming back from a meet, had one pop. Sounded great.

If it pops too often, you get used to it and it's s**t. Once a while though, and it becomes a rare treat.

Anyway, it's the OPs decision and this isn't answering the question.

It will over time knacker the Lambda sensor, and the exhaust silencer.

I think the whole silly loud exhaust phase is seen as impressing the under 16s.

The people viewing pops and bangs as immature and annoying are the more 'experienced' members of the forum - and also the ones who know their way around an engine (myself excluded).

Tru dat.

No issue with a louder exhaust (although they are stupid on something with no power or performance) but when you're deliberately mapping to make a racket then it's all a bit attention seeker and especially pointless when it's damaging the car in the process. A performance car with the right parts/mapping that causes the occasional pop/crack/bang as a bi product is fair game but mapping it in is as juvenile as those flamer kits that were all the rage at your local maccys carpark a few years back.

AB Clio 182 FF
fair play. enjoy. How did you manage to sort your RS Tuner issue out by the way? Got to say you seemed pretty calm about it being off the road when it happened! sorted now tho.

haha , Henk had to write me some new software for my laptop lol , was something to do with the fact i had to manually enter the vin and being sent a map that wasn't for my car , i was panicing a bit at first lol as i thought i had destroyed my ecu lol, but henk confirmed that i had not damaged it and he would sort it lol :)
all's good :) thanks mate

fair enough to everyone else voicing there opinion , if you think im immature then thats ok , i like the pops n bangs , maybe i will get bored , maybe i like to seek attention .
I know for a fact theres a fair few people with the overrun map ,

enough said thanks everyone

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The pops and bangs maps either holds the throttle open slightly (phase2) or ICV open (phase1) to slightly increase the amount of airflow through the engine while you are at zero throttle at high rpm (ie when you back off at over 4K or so rpm)
Then in order to make noise and flames rather than power from that extra little bit of airflow it runs the engine rich and retards the timing, both of which make it inefficient, much like antilag on a rally car.

The volume of fuel and air involved is actually really small though, so the effects of it are likely to be very small.

So basically, I really wouldnt worry too much about things like exhaust valves but yes if you have a cat still its likely to shorten its life a little.

I personally think its amusing for about the first five minutes of driving with it and then the novelty wears off and its just mildly annoying.

Evo 8 MR
I ran this map for a few months last year and although you can never be certain I'm pretty sure this is what killed my no.1 lambda, it's no bother though as this one is now in the no.2 slot making it impossible to bring on the emissions light.

It was fun at first but when you're travelling with other 1*2 owners and you're using like 1/3 more fuel than them when you aren't trying to use this feature anyway it gets a bit annoying especially on the motorway when you're feathering the throttle as you do to maintain distance from other road users and it keeps gurgling and popping constantly.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its a shame that its not switchable really, so that when you want to be a bit of a chav and pop and bang you can and then when you want to be a grown up you could put it back to normal.

AB Clio 182 FF
Its a shame that its not switchable really, so that when you want to be a bit of a chav and pop and bang you can and then when you want to be a grown up you could put it back to normal.

only takes 2 mins with the laptop so it aint too bad :)

Clio Sport 172 ITB
had some over run mapped into the clio when i had the itb's fitted.. got annoyed.. had it taken off and it still pops and bangs now and again! stupid car!