ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can someone clear up something about drive shafts for me please...

mx5
I have realised that the cv joint on the inner and outer of the drivers side needs changing.

Car is a phase 1 172

I have been doing some reading and am a little confused. I have read somewhere that the phase 1 and phase 2 driveshafts are the same but also read that they are different.
I have also read that it is adviseable to only use genuine Renault shafts, is there a reason to not use some decent quality from somewhere like GSF, I know someone who can get me pretty good discount on them.

Any help would be great, want to get it changed before I get it all aligned for track next month.

Thanks

Rich

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Off the top of my head 172cup and ph1 shafts are the same you just need to transfer the abs rings onto the 172 cup shafts also ph2 172/182 and 182 cup shafts are the same although 182 cup shafts have a different abs ring. I think it's wider.

Although 1 of the experts will confirm if this is rite or not..

02 Iceberg 172
Off the top of my head 172cup and ph1 shafts are the same you just need to transfer the abs rings onto the 172 cup shafts also ph2 172/182 and 182 cup shafts are the same although 182 cup shafts have a different abs ring. I think it's wider.

Although 1 of the experts will confirm if this is rite or not..

I believe Ph2 172 driveshafts are different to 182 ones...

mx5
Right so driveshaft has really shag itself now, shakes the steering wheel and making so much noise I've taken it off the road.

Do I need genuine Renault or not do people think? Need to order them asap.

Thanks for all the replys so far, really helpful.

Rich

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
As above genuine only. My mate needed 2 for his phase 2 172, he ordered them all the ones listed from euro car parts and they were all wrong. Had to go genuine in the end.

Iceberg 172
Anu one know the price if genuine for 172 phase 2? I have a wobble but no actual play in the driveshafts. Any ideas?