ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can someone please explain splitters to me?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
What exactly is the splitter (i thought it was a bit of plastic that fits ont he bottom of the bumper)? And how come you can fit other brands such as a skoda splitter to a clio? Should I have one (the front of my car seems to low as it is!)?

It is indeed a bit of plastic attached to the bottom of the bumper. Other manufacturers' splitters can sometimes fit due to them being a similar size/shape or being flexible enough to fit the Clio bumper.

If your car has the Cup spoiler, it should also have the Cup splitter, but a lot of them have went missing over the years due to them being smashed off kerbs etc and being a ridiculous price to replace. They were also a dealer fit option, and some dealers simply didn't bother their arse doing it when the car showed up.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Many thanks, that helps clear things up in my head. I think my car must of had the cup splitter at some point ( as it has both cup packs) but I think it must have been either 1. taken off, or 2. broken off as the car is pretty low (the bumper wont fit over a normal height kerb at its current height). Do they add anything to the car other than looks?

I used to have a front splitter on my 182ff but when I fitted my coilovers it was just scraping on the kerb into my drive, so I took it off.

Mini Cooper S sport
Many thanks, that helps clear things up in my head. I think my car must of had the cup splitter at some point ( as it has both cup packs) but I think it must have been either 1. taken off, or 2. broken off as the car is pretty low (the bumper wont fit over a normal height kerb at its current height). Do they add anything to the car other than looks?

Not really, but they look weird without one.

As above get the Skoda one, it's made of a rubbery plastic so even if you hit something with it you're more than likely that it will just bend, the official splitters are meant to be really brittle!

(Oh and the fact the Skoda is like £13 where as the official splitter is £100 plus i believe).

Clio 172 RS2
It's splits the airflow... going under the car or in the grille/radiator area. :eek:

Any splitter will fit IF it conforms to the Clio bumper shape. The VAG (Skoda fabia) product the cheapest around.

Ktec carbon fibre don't have one at the min but can't wait to spend £120 plus I'm off Simpsons salvage tomorrow to go find a 172 cup hopefully If not any suggestions more than welcome