ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you blank this off?

1e6117ae-9183-4e9b-99a1-678dcd88f835.jpg

Normally, this goes to the heater matrix. As I don't have a heater any more, and I changed my coolant system, I thought I could just blank of off, forcing more coolant through the main system, increasing coolant capacity. I had it looped before.

Yesterday, my blanking cap blew off because of pressure I suppose. My question is, can you even blank this off, or does it always need a bit of flow, or a way to reduce pressure here?

It is the start of number 7 in The drawing below.

945d3e1e-d7cc-4c7e-9cba-8ea0a7488abf.jpg

Attachments

• 1e6117ae-9183-4e9b-99a1-678dcd88f835.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 1e6117ae-9183-4e9b-99a1-678dcd88f835.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 43
It's very surprising, how tight was the plug? What did you use to blank it off?

I assume it was tight enough. I've used a blanking cap, specifically meant for this.

What I can think of is that as long as the thermostat is closed, coolant has nowhere to go, building up pressure?

@hostler How it's done in the topic you mention is how I had it before, and what I will be going back to. However, it doesn't explain why it has to be done this way, or if blanking off is an option.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I assume it was tight enough. I've used a blanking cap, specifically meant for this.

What I can think of is that as long as the thermostat is closed, coolant has nowhere to go, building up pressure?

@hostler How it's done in the topic you mention is how I had it before, and what I will be going back to. However, it doesn't explain why it has to be done this way, or if blanking off is an option.
Ahhhh makes perfect sense now I've had a look at the diagram again. Yeah when the ts is closed the coolant will be going around the heater matrix, goes into the bottom hose then back around the engine until it opens.

So blocking it off makes it not able to go around the engine at all as there is no return.

Ahhhh makes perfect sense now I've had a look at the diagram again. Yeah when the ts is closed the coolant will be going around the heater matrix, goes into the bottom hose then back around the engine until it opens.

So blocking it off makes it not able to go around the engine at all as there is no return.

Thought so. Already had my doubts when I did this, but because I did lots of other things like the cambelt and the gearbox, with little time, I never thought again about researching this up front. I basically forgot about it. 😆