ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing the heater...couple of questions

Radical SR3
So I removed the lower dash on my track Clio the other day in the pursuit of weight saving. The intention was to retain the heater for demisting etc...anyway, ignore whether or not I should remove the heater. I have questions:

Does anyone know the weight of the heater system including matrix and blower.

Who else has removed their heater and what did you do to block up any holes (including the coolant hoses that no longer need to feed the matrix).

What is the 'sagem' black box for located below the fuse box on the passenger side of the car.

Thanks in advance guys!

172/1.2/E30
Sagem box is the UCH. You shouldn't block the heater matriy pipes off but use a 180° elbow and joiner to connect the main coolant hose with the thermostat housing. Use the search. Weightwise i'd guess you'll lose about 5-10kgs.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If this is a road car, sod that for a laugh. However as a track only vehicle - probably acceptable, until it rains ;)

Without being funny - a slightly rhetorical question - how much do you weigh ?

Radical SR3
UCH? Cheers for reply will search. Couldnt you block off the pipes as there is a join anyway?

Its a very capable track toy and trust me ive done the remove heater, rainex and roofscoop before...so know the drawbacks. I weigh 76kg, i did consider hiring a midget but wheres the fun in that?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
That's alright then ;) Normally people come on here asking if removing the hazard light switch will save any weight then later inform that they weigh the wrong side of 15 stone.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Where are you based ?

Radical SR3
Yeah, i have some idea im happy to say. I got my last track hatch down to 690kg which was fun. I appreciate the cup wont see much below mid 800s without getting too carried away.

Im in Effingham, Surrey

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
That's alright then ;) Normally people come on here asking if removing the hazard light switch will save any weight then later inform that they weigh the wrong side of 15 stone.Sounds like you know what you're doing. Where are you based ?
I'm not sure why weight of the driver is relevant. I weigh "the wrong side" of 15 stone due to being as wide as I am tall. It doesn't mean 50kg lost from the Clio will not make a difference. If I could remove an arm to knock 20kg off my body weight I would but sadly that's not an option.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I'm not sure why weight of the driver is relevant. I weigh "the wrong side" of 15 stone due to being as wide as I am tall. It doesn't mean 50kg lost from the Clio will not make a difference. If I could remove an arm to knock 20kg off my body weight I would but sadly that's not an option.

If it was an option, I'd suggest you lose the left arm. Its not as good as your right.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
What's an UCH?

UCH

The UCH (Unite Centrale Habitacle) is an electronic control
module that is fitted to many late model Renaults (early 2000's onwards.) It is
responsible for controlling many of the non-engine related functions of the car,
such as central locking, electric windows, and even some of the lights (e.g.
indicators.)

Mental 172 Cup
I took my heaters out. You will be left with two big holes.. They will need to be blocked up otherwise rain will come in.. Saved a fair bit of weight though... Heater matrix and blower etc..

Radical SR3
I took my heaters out. You will be left with two big holes.. They will need to be blocked up otherwise rain will come in.. Saved a fair bit of weight though... Heater matrix and blower etc..

Already there Luke, there's a letter box hole from the blower I will block and the rectangle through the bulkhead for the matrix-coolant lines. I'll weigh it all when it comes out fully.

What did you do with your coolant hose? am I right in thinking you can run a coolant hose from pump to lower rad (can't quite remember the hose layout so might have that wrong).

Mental 172 Cup
I chopped the heater matrix pipes and then put it straight into the thermostat. Bypassing the matrix completely..

Radical SR3
Did you get a shot Luke, I'm at the point where I need to hook up coolant. I'm thinking either trim the forge hose and add a 180deg 16mm bend or make up a fresh silicone pipe from straight, 90 deg and 180 deg joins.

Radical SR3
Re: Removing the heater...Update

Little update on this, not got the coolant line sorted yet as I've been busy with other things...but I thought I'd share a few shots of my heater removal solution.

Blower comes out
20120917_182235.jpg

holes to the cabin
20120922_114104.jpg

dash bar removed
20120922_114008.jpg

catching the coolant
20120922_114113.jpg

dash bar sprayed white (no rust)
20120929_092128.jpg

one panel made, one to go
20120929_092152.jpg

both panels in place
20120929_100003.jpg

dash bar back in and wiring on the way
20120929_114439.jpg

shot of sealed panel
20120929_165023.jpg

job done (mad a carbon panel up for the switches etc)
20121006_163101.jpg

Mental 172 Cup
Sorry about not replying mate, been absolutely flat out.. Will try get you a photo later on.. It's pretty simple though.

220 Trophy
Will air still come through the vents when the car is on the move without the blower and the two vents have been blocked-off?

Radical SR3
No air will get through. The coolant line to matrix hole would be the only one that could feed air in but it would be hot and oily...

If you remove the heater the next mod is normally roof vent which is what i will do in the new year.

220 Trophy
Thanks. Am considering doing this myself, I just wondered if air would still come through the vents when driving along but just not heated or forced through by the blower - Basically like it used to do in 'old' cars.

Mental 172 Cup
right better late then never.. here are the photos of what I did with the coolant pipes..

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

I cut the pipe just before it splits off to go to the matrix and it fits perfect, flows well and the car doesnt overheat at all..

Mental 172 Cup
Yep all the original piping, just cut before where it splits for the heater matrix, then put back into the thermostat.. Just basically bypassed the matrix..

The spring clip is perfectly fine mate.. They are strong as hell..

Mental 172 Cup
No mate.. Not got that far yet.. Just have a handful of microfibres handy for when it rains.. It's getting a bit crazy now as the nights and early mornings are getting colder.. I'm going to have to stop breathing..

Radical SR3
Rainex? that's my solution...

I'm almost about to buy a scoop so will post when I sort that (after a long list of other mods to complete). I decided to buy a 19mm 180 deg silicone hose, joiner and 19mm straight piece of silicone. When/if it fits I'll put a pic up ;)

Mental 172 Cup
I'm too lazy to apply rainex so microfibres will do me till I take it off the road for winter..

220 Trophy
Do the scoops have anything that goes on the inside of the roof to direct the air, or blank it out if you don't want air coming in?

Luke, didn't you say that you could just use the original hose and bend it around? - saves having to buy a 180 degree piece surely.

Mental 172 Cup
Yep I simply just cut it off and fitted it onto the thermostat.. You'll see what I mean when you do it..

220 Trophy
Rainex? that's my solution...

I'm almost about to buy a scoop so will post when I sort that (after a long list of other mods to complete). I decided to buy a 19mm 180 deg silicone hose, joiner and 19mm straight piece of silicone. When/if it fits I'll put a pic up ;)

You apply Rainex to the inside of the windscreen as well? Presume this helps with the condensation?

Radical SR3
Rainex does stop condensation and is applied to the inside of all windows (racers often have heated front screens). The roof scoops depending on style all have different interior vents but yes, you can rotate the vents to channel the air or close the vents to stop it.

I'm only going down the silicone piping route as I have the Forge hoses on the car and don't want to cut them as I might sell them on at some point. Lukes solution is a piece of piss though and would work well!

Mental 172 Cup
You can get rain-x rain repellent for the outside, also you can get rain-x anti fog for the inside.. Both work fantastic. We use it on our race car for the wet races as they don't have heaters or a heated screen and its spot on..

See if you can just get a replacement for that one pipe should you sell or cut it and if you decide to sell put it back on with a joiner.. Will work just as well..

220 Trophy
Thanks guys, definitely the next job once I get the car back end of next week, blower and matrix out and will go through the loom again. Will get some RainX and Antifog anyway but would be interested to see some photos of the roof scoop (inside & out if possible) when it’s fitted as it definitely seems a good idea and should be easy to fit.