ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can you guess the fault with my 182 ?

None
I went to see Paul at RS Tuning today as a follow up visit from a couple of months back when it seemed there was a serious issue with the power my 182 was putting out when he did a power run for me.

I made a few minor and major changes over the last two months and today it went back on the rollers, i definately had sweaty palms as i was waiting and hoping for improvements and luckily it was making acceptable figures this time for a pretty standard 182.
Paul then did a remap for me and with the exception of me needing to run the car on shell v power and not total excellium(which apparently is crap fuel to use as the car doesn't like it at all)the figures are looking good and the car has been totally transformed to drive, I'll be going back in a few weeks after running on v power so Paul can make adjustments to the map to suit the new fuel but i have to say it feels great to drive now.
Big thanks to Paul at RS Tuning for the remap, it feels so much more aggressive now and pulls much better at low rpm's.

Paul and i decided we'll have a little game and see if any of you can work out what would be the cause of such a drop in power on a 182 as we now know the answer, here is a graph of the power run that was done a couple of months back and later tonight i'll post up the graph of the new power run along with pics of the fault itself.

No prizes for getting it right but if you do then you deserve a big pat on the back :)

I know a few people on here know the fault already so please don't give it away :D
Original.gif

Stagecoach Ticket
I would be happy if my car made tht on the rollers tbh lol

i would be going with somthing along the lines of squirrels answer

or someone left half there finger behind in the thorttle body when cleaning it?

None
Some of you are edging towards the issue with your answers but the truth is still a little more shocking!, i'll let you know this evening :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I know ;)

Weird that thing about v power, my car runs s**t on v power but runs the sweetest on total excellium :S

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
The total fuel in this tank was total crap!

It was knocking on the stock map.

I really cant see a 182 running s**t on vpower tbh, not if the fuel trims are all good and the car is healthy

Evo 8 MR
I assume you weren't stupid enough for it to be what some people have suggested but my guess is cam timing was out surely?

About 80% of the clios that went on the rollers on the RR days I've attended produced low figures due to incorrect timing.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The total fuel in this tank was total crap!

It was knocking on the stock map.

I really cant see a 182 running s**t on vpower tbh, not if the fuel trims are all good and the car is healthy

Well you probably dont remember me since i've only been to RR days but you said mine was running like a normal 182 should last time i was there on excellium.

I know most on here do prefer v power but in mine its just never felt as good :(
Aslong as Ste is happy though :)

53 Clio's & counting
When Paul mapped mine I was running Tesco 99, as I work next to a Tesco's so its convenient lol

Im guessing belt was stretched/timed wrong, the dip in power looks like they do when the timings out

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I seriously can't believe how many people have dodgy timed f4r's!

I need to make sure mines right soon - probably wishful thinking that its not and its got lots more free power to give!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
When you say you can see it are we talking something that shouldn't be there or something that shouldn't be how it is?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
When you say you can see it are we talking something that shouldn't be there or something that shouldn't be how it is?

The piece your looking at shouldn't be how it is, the problem with the piece shouldn't be there ;)

That doesnt really help does it? :rasp:

V70 d5 beast
would say timing out or something to do with the cams? as the power stays constan after 5 k then drops

None
Ok so plenty of guesses here but the truth is more puzzling than any of those answers, here is the picture of the fault, it's the centre section to sports cat that i had made last year from zorstec, the two sections are welded together so this pipe is coming from the cat into the centre silencer, it clearly looks like he chiseled the ends of the pipe inwards though i can't possibly think of a reasonable explanation for this and as you can see from the graph it was choking approximately 15 bhp from the engine but not only that the torque suffered greatly too.
DSC03490.gif

This image show the position of the fault when looking down the pipe
redmarks.gif

And this is the full system
DSC03496.gif

As far as i am aware the employee who did this has been sacked since and as a few on here have used them before and were happy with the results then i'm not going to **** them off, i did like the look of the system and it sounded pretty good but to say i'm a little more than dissapointed in this level of workmanship from an exhaust builder with a supposed good reputation would be an understatement, not to mention i'm now out of pocket £700 which is what i paid for the system including sports cat and the money i shelled out to try rectify the issue which currently stands at 2x lambda sensors, 1x standard 182 cat and a cat back yozza system, currently totaling £650.

I can only assume that as i asked him to make it quieter because at first it was louder than a decatted yozza he decided the best way to do this was to choke the exhaust gasses to solve the issue!

these are the graphs from today's rolling road runs at RS Tuning, both before and after mapping, also there is an air/fuel ratio graph which i'm sure the more technical minded among you will understand more than me, i'm sure Paul can explain this graph better than i could but even i can see there is huge difference there.

Before mapping
IMG_0002.gif

After mapping
IMG.gif

High speed air/fuel ratio
IMG_0003.gif

We are hoping to get the bhp to over 170 with the v power in a couple of weeks.

Guess it goes to show having custom parts doesn't always pay :(

Lesson learned ;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Oh and thats shocking!

I'd personally take that back to them and show them, the very least for me they could do is recitfy it for free.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You going to get it re-rr'd after a fresh service and some new fuel in there? I'd of thought you'd be into the 170's at least with a map!

Glad your back up somewhere near though :D

Octavia VRS
unlucky mate. i bet seeing that bodge job on ur cat put a smile on ur face. glad its running ok again!

None
You going to get it re-rr'd after a fresh service and some new fuel in there? I'd of thought you'd be into the 170's at least with a map!

Glad your back up somewhere near though :D

I'm going to run it down to trax and back on v power then Paul will get it back on the rollers two week later, i did the oil myself with fully synthetic stuff only a month back and it has a new pipercross filter so Paul thinks it's more the fuel than anything else, plus who knows if that exhaust has damaged something inside the engine.

One thing is for sure, i can feel that extra 35 pound feet of torque now :)

And it was limiting itself to 7k so Paul put it up to 7.5k, feels so much better now.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to run it down to trax and back on v power then Paul will get it back on the rollers two week later, i did the oil myself with fully synthetic stuff only a month back and it has a new pipercross filter so Paul thinks it's more the fuel than anything else, plus who knows if that exhaust has damaged something inside the engine.

Cool, i'm sure it'll be running much sweeter after a good run without the restriction. Have zorstec said anything yet?

None
Can't decide what to do yet Mike, might hold onto it for now and have a think...........or put it on Fred's wall of shame :rasp: