ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you help

Ive been trying to solve this problem of my williams wondering all over the road for ages now and its trying my paitients to say the least! so if anyone can help I would be very appriciative.

Ill be driving down a road and it follows every little deviation in the road, I constantly have to keep correcting the wheel to keep it in a straight line. Its much worse over bumpy roads but it still does it on smoother roads too.

Also when going around very slow tight corners its as if the cars wants to keep going around and it takes a bit of effort(only a bit) to get the steering wheel back in the center.

What can it be? before you answer this is what Ive had done so far to try and solve it without any luck!

Wheel bearings both sides.

Trackrod inner ball joint and trackrod end.

Power steering pump

The above needed doing anyway.

Front and rear shocks/strut bearings.

The following things have been checked for wear:

Steering rack and bushes, trackrod inner and outer joints, wishbone bushes, wheel bearings, tracking adjusted, shocks.

There is no play in the steering that I can detect.

The only things I can think of are the springs, when i inspected them they were both ruffly the same hieght(about a cm between them) but the bottom end of both springs were corroded, not that bad but the ends looked a bit jagged and not a clean cut end. are they meant to be like that? that was going to be my next thing to try.

I also have the spare wheel(steel) on the back which has a different tyre to the rest.

I hate replacing parts that dont need replacing but its all I can do, I tried going to a garage and they didnt diagnose the fault correctly saying we can try replacing this and that and see if that solves it, but I can do that myself only alot cheaper!

If anyone can tell me what it is I would be very greatful!

I run 30 all round and Ive been checking this weekly.

Benj, Ive had the tracking checked but what do you mean by "castors cambers etc.." where I had it done they used laser tracking equipment and he adjusted the near side trackrod about 3mm.

One problem I came across in a Ren 19. I found that the car would wonder and sometimes there would be a split sec delay in the steering, other times it would slightly oversteer. Problem: The steering fluid was surging through the rack sometimes!

Only another possibilty if you had the same symtoms.

Mike

castor - angle of the wheels vertically

camber - " " horizontally

- i think thats right .....

trackin just lines the wheels up to eachother

Ive got good tyres on the front so its not that.

How do you adjust the camber and caster if there out?

The car was handling perfect when I bought it about a year a go then after about 6-7 months it started going downhill. Ive had no knocks or anything. Does the camber and caster just go out of line with age?

tyres dont need to be worn, some tyres just tramline, unless you have a hard smack on the front caster/camber not ajustable.

in that case I can iliminate tryes and camber/caster settings as Ive had no bumps on the front end and the car was handling fine when I first got the new tyres for a couple of months.

It doesnt feel like tramlining, its more like bump steer and the steering doesnt feel very responsive. Ive thought about the steering rack but there doesnt seem to be any play at all(with engine off and jacked up on axle stands).

you cant adj the castor nor camber independantly on the clio, as far as i know.

I had similar problems on my fiesta. The toe was so masively out, that when turning out of a tight corner, or from parking etc, the wheel would fall to full lock on the right side, and it wondered all over the shop.

You sure its not trackin as it sounds like a massive mis alignment.

Ive had the tracking checked once at a tyre place a couple of weeks ago, seemed an okey sort of place they had laser tracking gear. but I might get it checked again to be sure. wheres the best place thats nationwide? kwikfit?

no, i go to a dedicated wheel/tyre plate, i use motorsport wheels, thye have good tracking gear.

I cant think of any parts that would give those syndromes, especially the steering not centering.