ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 1000d or a 550d??

Mk5 golf gti
Hi people

Im a total camera novice but for a while now ive wanted to get into the world of photography as a bit of a side hobby

i have the money for a camera and i have been to currys and had a play with a few yesterday but im stuck on a decision

i did have my heart set on a 550d with the 18-55 lens as it felt perfect and loved playing round with the options and the quality of the pics was great and the HD video function was also very good

i then went to comet in which they had the 1000d and the 500d i think but they dont power up in there for some reason :S so i couldnt have a proper play, are they quite similar bar the fact the 550d has HD and higher mega pixels etc??

would this be something as a beginner i would even notice the difference between the 3?

As much as i like the HD video function i would probs rareley use it so do i save alot and learn on the 1000d then later on in the year upgrade? or do i just go for the 550d?

i dont really see the point in getting the 500d as i may as well put a bit more and get a 550d

hmm decisions decisions, here are the 2 links for the ones im considering

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-EOS-100...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item33647c7a04

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CANON-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item588a69b178

Thanks

I've kind of lost touch with the canon range but from what I can remember the 550d is a little bigger, has a better focus system a better screen and a few other nice touches. The fact that its bigger would be enough for me!

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/
The official canon refurb eBay store is worth watching.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet

Personally I'd get a second hand or refurb 40D or 50D but as a novice you might not be able to make the most of the additional features straight away.

I've got a 500d mate and its absolutely superb. I looked at the 550d and spoke to a few different people, and they said the only real difference between them is that the 550d has better video recording (think its true 1080p, whereas the HD on the 500 isnt full HD? I could be wrong)

I'd deffinately recommend the 500 over the 550 if you're a novice tbh..

Mk5 golf gti
i wouldnt get a 500 over a 550 as there is such a small difference in price tbh

Oh really? I didn't realise that! I got my 500d for £450 in the sale at BestBuy last year, and at the time the 550d was about £700!

Get the 500 and pocket the change to use for bags/cases/SD card/tripod?

I'd deffinately get a 550 over a 1000 if its just between the two though!

Citroen DS3 White
I'd also go second hand on a 40d. Have a look at TalkPhotography forums, they have a for sale bit and there are usually some good bargains on there, it's where i got my 40d and I love that thing, good enough to get some excellent results and to grow into.

Mk5 golf gti
Get the 500 and pocket the change to use for bags/cases/SD card/tripod?

I'd deffinately get a 550 over a 1000 if its just between the two though!

not really in it to save money, ill buy lenses etc each week as and when i get paid

its just i dunno if its sensible to learn on the 1000 and then upgrade to the 550

Mk5 golf gti
I'd also go second hand on a 40d. Have a look at TalkPhotography forums, they have a for sale bit and there are usually some good bargains on there, it's where i got my 40d and I love that thing, good enough to get some excellent results and to grow into.

ill check that out now, didnt think of forums. i would ideally like new unless i could get a mint 2nd hand bundle

If you have the funds to throw at this buy the best you can first time around, especially with lenses as they'll last a lifetime and don't lose value in the same way as bodies, infact mine are now worth more than I paid 2-3 years ago.

Mk5 golf gti
If you have the funds to throw at this buy the best you can first time around, especially with lenses as they'll last a lifetime and don't lose value in the same way as bodies, infact mine are now worth more than I paid 2-3 years ago.

Sound advice :)

is there many advantages the 550d has in comparrison to the 1000d??

i only seem to find HD video and mega pixels the only advantages over it so far

this is why i cant decide really

Have you seen the LCD screen on both of them? The 1000d's LCD screen for viewing photos or using live view is pish compared to my 500d, and I imagine the 550d will have a similar screen to the 500. This to me is a crucial part of a camera, being able to view shots in mint details after i've taken them.

And as said above, i'd get the best you can afford first time around to save money in the long run..

Mk5 golf gti
Ahh yes i think the screen is a bit smaller

i might go jessops at the weekend and try out a few more

Yea it's not just the size of the screen, it's also the pixel count.

500d is massively higher in pixels on the screen than the 1000d, meaning the images looks pin sharp as though you are viewing them on a computer screen for example. 1000d is a bit grainy and lacks colours etc. Has something like 1/5 of the pixels the 500d has!

Mk5 golf gti
Yea it's not just the size of the screen, it's also the pixel count.

500d is massively higher in pixels on the screen than the 1000d, meaning the images looks pin sharp as though you are viewing them on a computer screen for example. 1000d is a bit grainy and lacks colours etc. Has something like 1/5 of the pixels the 500d has!

i did notice the screen on the 550d was very sharp

so you would say the extra £250 for a 550d is justifiable for a beginner over the 1000d ??

I think the 1000d is comparable to a 350d/400d if that helps. You'll get great shots from either camera. Your paying for the smaller features that make life easier or more enjoyable. For me ergonomics is huge in a body, which is why a XXd wins hands down, especially if your using heavy lenses. Then you get into higher FPS, faster more accurate focus etc etc.

I'd take a 1000d if it meant you spend an additional £250 on a lens.

Mk5 golf gti
I think the 1000d is comparable to a 350d/400d if that helps. You'll get great shots from either camera. Your paying for the smaller features that make life easier or more enjoyable. For me ergonomics is huge in a body, which is why a XXd wins hands down, especially if your using heavy lenses. Then you get into higher FPS, faster more accurate focus etc etc.

i guess there is alot to learn some very knowlegable people on here so glad i renewed my membership Lol

read through the stickys yesterday some great info there too

i dont think ill be buying £250 lenses as of yet i just want to produce some simple but effective photos and just enjoy it as well as learning the ins and outs of photography

i did notice the screen on the 550d was very sharp

so you would say the extra £250 for a 550d is justifiable for a beginner over the 1000d ??

For me personally I would get the 550d IF you can afford the extra money as I think its a great investment in the long run.

I agree with this to a point, but as a beginner you WANT to have an easier and more enjoyable camera, as it can get very confusing very quickly otherwise.

And as a beginner aswell, I'd rather have the better kit straight out of the box, than worry about THEN looking for lenses etc to suit you, as thats a whole other kettle of fish..

Mk5 golf gti
For me personally I would get the 550d IF you can afford the extra money as I think its a great investment in the long run.

I agree with this to a point, but as a beginner you WANT to have an easier and more enjoyable camera, as it can get very confusing very quickly otherwise.

And as a beginner aswell, I'd rather have the better kit straight out of the box, than worry about THEN looking for lenses etc to suit you, as thats a whole other kettle of fish..

this is exactly what i have been thinking hence the lower model then the upgrade when needed

The 1000d is the true entry model Canon, but as i've said the 550d would be a better option, as it sits somewhere in between entry level, and full on pro spec cameras. I found the 500 massively more intuitive than the 1000d and all round user friendly.

It wouldn't take long to out-grow the 1000d!

Mk5 golf gti
The 1000d is the true entry model Canon, but as i've said the 550d would be a better option, as it sits somewhere in between entry level, and full on pro spec cameras. I found the 500 massively more intuitive than the 1000d and all round user friendly.

It wouldn't take long to out-grow the 1000d!

i see, i did really enjoy playin round with the 550d

looking like ill but the 550d i will have another look into the 500d also

Yea just have a play around with them in store. I'd highly recommend the Canon Outlet on eBay aswell, they sell for massively lower prices than instore and 99% of the cameras have not even been used.

Mk5 golf gti
Yea just have a play around with them in store. I'd highly recommend the Canon Outlet on eBay aswell, they sell for massively lower prices than instore and 99% of the cameras have not even been used.

Ok thanks for that i would only purchase from Ebay tbh as with everything else these days Lol

Mk5 golf gti
Also is there any difference between the uk/usa/japan versions of the 550/500d
as alot on ebay are japan models which apparently are exactly the same but just have a different name

I personally would never buy a japanese model, as a lot of them are fakes.

I'd stick with UK models tbh, and at a push if you can find a really good deal a US one.

Just beware of eBay with fake camera's, they are everywhere!

Mk5 golf gti
I personally would never buy a japanese model, as a lot of them are fakes.

I'd stick with UK models tbh, and at a push if you can find a really good deal a US one.

Just beware of eBay with fake camera's, they are everywhere!

what about the ones in the first post i linked too??

seem to sell in high numbers with good feedback

I can't get on eBay from work mate, i'll check them out tonight.

It's entirely up to you though really, I brought from BestBuy as I KNOW they won't be fakes etc.

My sisters fiancee brought his Nikon off eBay and has had absolutely no problems, so..

i dont think ill be buying £250 lenses as of yet i just want to produce some simple but effective photos and just enjoy it as well as learning the ins and outs of photography

your in for a shock :eek: just checked prices and my 3 lenses are up £350 combined..

As for eBay, read very carefully about the warranty on grey imports..

Mk5 golf gti
your in for a shock :eek: just checked prices and my 3 lenses are up £350 combined..

As for eBay, read very carefully about the warranty on grey imports..

what i meant was i wont be buying one £250 lense as of yet as ill get the most of what i can out of the 18-55 to see what lenses i should be buying

im not fussed about spending money on the lenses, just want to have some fun with it first as the standard kit

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd personally avoid the 1000d as it's a proper poverty spec D-SLR. You'll struggle to sell it if you get bored of photography in 3 months time, and you'll regret buying it if you enjoy photography and want to upgrade too soon as well !

450d (ebay outlet) is a great way to start into Canons .. Sometimes I wish I'd not bothered moving up to the 7d but after 18 months of ownership, I'd moved past what the 450 could do for me. It's a great starter's camera. Colleauge was looking at a 500/550d on ebay but i suggested trying out the 450 as it's a few hundred cheaper, meaning monies for lenses sooner ;-)

As mentioned, try them all out in Currys/Jessops etc. See what feels best for you... then buy on ebay outlet. Photography is mostly about the person taking the photos, secondly the lens, and lastly about the camera... so there's no reason you cant take nice shots with a 1000d, but its low light capability and other things you'll get into will let you down and you'll want to upgrade to a more recent 5xxd or similar soon ;)

Mk5 golf gti
Giraffe Thanks for that :) not looked at a 450d is this a quite older model??

what does it offer over a 1000

i do fancy something as a starter for a bit then upgrading

EDIT: the 450d is looking like the ideal middle choice, as it has fatures over the 1000d but at a bargain price

thanks again Giraffe

Last edited:
  Mk5 golf gti
Haha oh noo that is pale

ok thanks ill look now, also if anyone has a link to the ebay outlet in question it would be much appreciated as i cant seem to find it

Edit: Found it now :)

500d and 550d are way ahead of the 1000d in terms of low light and high iso performance. 1000d is well over due a replacement.

Mk5 golf gti
500d and 550d are way ahead of the 1000d in terms of low light and high iso performance. 1000d is well over due a replacement.

yea i realised as much now

been looking at the 500d, ahh i may as well shell out an get the 550d