ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 1000d or a 550d??

Mk5 golf gti
alright mate

erm yea im gonna go tommorow afternoon and have another look
hopefully selling my car within the next few days

so the plan is to buy a phase 1 172 and a camera within the next week or 2

Non IS Lens

Avoid, the IS kit lens is mountains better than the old Non-IS. Although I'm not sure if the IS version was ever the standard package with the 1000d. (?!)

Edit: wtf, just been on camerapricebuster and there is now a 1100D!
http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Canon_EOS_1100D_Body_pc.html

There is also a 18-55mm III & 600D but the new 18-55 is non-IS, probably a new but cheaper version to confuse people...this camera tech lark moves so damn quickly....

but as you've decided ;) get the 1000D with the IS version, its unquestionably better.

Last edited:
  Mk5 golf gti
Thanks mate thats the answer i was looking for, im sure i needed the is lens

yea i noticed the 1100d but its £500

i think its best to learn on the 1000d as i can sell up at any time and upgrade

CLIO Iceberg 172
wow the 600d is just a re numbered 550!!!! omg wow a flip out screen!! thats all thats different

Would skip the 1000D TBH, its iso performance is just way doen the scale.

+1

I honestly do think you will regret not getting the 500/550 if you are thinking of getting into photography seriously.

Id you're adament about the 1000d though, get the 1100d. 2.2 megapixel better, 0.2inch larger screen etc. for the same money near enough.

Mk5 golf gti
i am on a hunt on for the 500d now Lol

wish there was huge differences in price and spec and it would make buying one so much easier

went to jessops and didnt like the 1000d

anyhing wrong with the american/japanese models on ebay

one seller sells alot with good feedback?? so they are genuine, but are there any differences

Oil Burner
Not sure to be honest i'm not too up on the consumer cameras.

But have a look at this link. I can see the following difference - MP, FPS, Better LCD, Higher FPS at 720/1080p, More advanced metering. I'm sure there are other differences.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS550D/

I would much sooner use Digital Rev than an ebay store. I've just used them again, delivery within a week and cheapest place i could find besides ebay/used.

Mk5 golf gti
They are also selling alot of imports on the digitalrev?? have you seen

im looking at the 550d now, it annoys me i cant make up my mind, i do have about 400 to spend at the moment

Oil Burner
Yes they only sell imports as far as i know. Still has 12 months warranty (albeit has to be ok'd by the retailer). They also offer the option to try and evade import duty via their ebay shop. That can save you £000's if you dont get caught.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Dont get a 1000D. I have one. I hate it. Its too small, the screen is not that great, the kit lens is meh (but that might just be donw to the camera)

The only reason i have one is that i had to buy from currys/comet with an insurance card. I got raped big time for it, well over priced for what you get. ( i think it was £550ish oct 09)

Mk5 golf gti
Dont get a 1000D. I have one. I hate it. Its too small, the screen is not that great, the kit lens is meh (but that might just be donw to the camera)

The only reason i have one is that i had to buy from currys/comet with an insurance card. I got raped big time for it, well over priced for what you get. ( i think it was £550ish oct 09)

Already said not getting the 1000d

didnt like it at all and no live view

Oil Burner
Yup they are NOT grey imports. They did a page of Q+A on Talk photography. They even have their own section on there for customer feed back etc...

BTW, Live view is rubbish except for manual focus on stationary objects with the camera supported. Macro shots for instance.

Yup they are NOT grey imports. They did a page of Q+A on Talk photography. They even have their own section on there for customer feed back etc...

BTW, Live view is rubbish except for manual focus on stationary objects with the camera supported. Macro shots for instance.

Live View is brilliant, I'm lazy and can set up an exposure in seconds with it & can turn on a histogram for good measure.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
1000D has live view.

550d is the way forward personally. I have the 1000d and its great as a starter but once you get used to things you want a better body. Plus the 550d does 1080p recording aswell as 60fps 720p recording which is noice!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
1000D has live view.

550d is the way forward personally. I have the 1000d and its great as a starter but once you get used to things you want a better body. Plus the 550d does 1080p recording aswell as 60fps 720p recording which is noice!

Really? It has live view? I can't seem to find this on my 1000d. Must be missing something then?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
PMSL at the google answer.

I honestly didn't think it had it. Just had a quick look at mine.

I don't think i'll be using it though. Doesn't look too great on the 1000d

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The screen alone is worth going for the 550D over the 1000D, nevermind the quicker fps, better high iso performance etc

Mk5 golf gti
1000d didnt have liveview in jessops i can assure you

welll this week is definately decision time as my missus is paying for most for my birthday

Mk5 golf gti
but then i end up with the fact for a little more you can get the 550d

i may just get the 500d the 1100d sounds good but has crappy screen according to jessops in comparrison to the 550

I dont personally see that big an advantage of the 550 over the 500, other than full 1080p video recording, but if you want a camera for full HD video then why get an SLR over a dedicated video camera?!

Cupra

welll this week is definately decision time as my missus is paying for most for my birthday

The 1000D does have liveview. From the Canon site.

ogxu8p.jpg

I'd probably just go for the 500D over the 550D if the savings warranted it.

182FF with cup packs
The screen alone is worth going for the 550D over the 1000D, nevermind the quicker fps, better high iso performance etc

The screen on the 550D is well worth it. I have a 450D and my mate has a 550D, the difference is stunning, twice the resolution.

If it's anything like my 450D then you have to go into the custom settings menu to enable Liveview in the firstplace.

Mk5 golf gti
I dont personally see that big an advantage of the 550 over the 500, other than full 1080p video recording, but if you want a camera for full HD video then why get an SLR over a dedicated video camera?!

i didnt say i did want it for hd video, its a nice addition though if the 500 has a big enough saving over the 550 ill get that
The 1000D does have liveview. From the Canon site.

I'd probably just go for the 500D over the 550D if the savings warranted it
ogxu8p.jpg

Well it didnt in jessops or currys and both said it ddnt have live view

Mk5 golf gti
I'd take the Canon websites facts as truth over what some part-time scruff working at Curry's says..

Lol i am just saying what i was told and what i saw, when i was going through the options i couldnt slect live view

if it does have then ill seriously consider it