ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 6D vs Canon 5DmkIII - is a 6D 'good enough'?

Chaps and Chapesses,

My 300D is dying and I need to get a new camera.

The 5DmkIII is said to be awesome by all accounts, but it's also over £2k if you buy UK (non-grey market) stock... :S

The 6D, however, is a little over £1100 (grey market) and seems to have a lot of what I'm looking for - great low light focusing capabilities, great high ISO results, not £££££, etc.

I know that there are a lot of trade-offs by going for the 6D (11 vs 61 point autofocus, 4.5 vs 6fps, moire on video, single memory card slot only, etc) but has anyone on here got one? Or can offer their opinions/experience on them?

Should I be mental and splash two grand on a 5DmkIII straight off? I know if I get a 6D I can always sell it on and get one, but I'd rather skip that stage if it's going to be short and just cost me money in depreciation lol

There are not even many going secondhand, it seems, and those that do sell seem to go fairly close to the original price, but I've not read that many reviews on the 6D, whereas the 5DmkIII seems to be the willy-waving wonderboy!

All thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

I'm going full frame next year probably and also looked at these two cameras. I've no experience at that end of the quality spectrum yet, but personally, if I bought a 6D I'd only spend the majority of my ownership with it thinking "I bet the 5D does that better" before I ultimately upgraded.

Personally, I'd take the step up and make it a more long-term investment.

But those are just my opinions.

The 5D is clearly the better camera. But can YOU justify the difference in cost over the improvements the camera offers?...

I think I could.

I also found these yesterday - I hope they help.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-eos-6d-vs-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-comparison-21119

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses :)

Current lenses are:

Canon 18-55 Kit lens (which I never use lol)
Canon 75-300 f4-f5.6 (I think? The cheap one)
Canon 24-105 f4
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Tamron 17-50 f2.8

AFAIK the last two are APS-C only so I would need to factor in buying a 50mm f1.4 (Sigma or Canon? Another decision... lol) or perhaps an 85mm f1.8, and I've never been particularly happy with the images from the 70-300 so I'd probably want to upgrade that as well at some point, although I don't do that much telephoto work. I guess I would also want a spare battery and also the battery grip, which would add at least a couple of hundred, depending on where I bought.

I do prefer to shoot with natural light, though, so the ISO performance is key, hence the attraction of the 6D. I also prefer landscape / architectural stuff but have done some casual photos at a couple of weddings, so the 5D would seem better for the latter. But I usually centre-weight and focus on centre-point before recomposing, so would it be such a hassle doing so on the 6D, rather than relying on the 5D's better AF? I'm not sure.

I do hear the argument for just going straight to the top and being done with, but it is a lot of money... And I'm just not sure I'd use everything on it!

Decisions!!

Last edited:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
If you have the money go for the 5D, it's superior in every aspect. If you want to save some money for some glass then get the 6D, it's still a fantastic camera.

Have a look at the 70D coming out next month - it's got much improved ISO capability, an insane AF system, in built wi-fi.
It's what I'm going to be buying

Personally I'd buy that and upgrade your glass, the lenses you have aren't brilliant. I'd always go for good glass over a body

It's a tough call whether to go full frame as the gap between high end crop and low end full frame is quite small. I got the Nikon D7100 but got close to getting a D600, but the only main advantage was improved high iso performance, but couldn't justify the price difference.

I imagine it will be the same situation with the 6D and 70D.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all of your lenses bar the 24-105 are aps-c only, so would all need to be sold?

If that's the case a swap to the better in every aspect Nikon D600 (vs 6D) wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cayman S Edition 1
I have a 5D mkIII with the 24-105 and love it. I use that lens for all my glamour work now and can't express how good the quality is.

If you can afford one, do it:)

Thanks for all of your input, an outside perspective is much appreciated! :)

Have a look at the 70D coming out next month - it's got much improved ISO capability, an insane AF system, in built wi-fi.
It's what I'm going to be buying

Personally I'd buy that and upgrade your glass, the lenses you have aren't brilliant. I'd always go for good glass over a body
I would dispute the comment re: the lenses ;) Tokina 11-16 is remarkably good, so much so even that Ken Rockwell bloke recommends it, Tamron 17-50 is sharp as anything past f4 (and still reasonable at f2.8), 24-105L is, well, L... lol The 30mm Sigma I've always been pretty happy with, especially given it cost under a fifth of the 35L lol The Canon lenses are the two I use the least to be honest because they're a bit pants!

Correct me if I'm wrong but all of your lenses bar the 24-105 are aps-c only, so would all need to be sold?

If that's the case a swap to the better in every aspect Nikon D600 (vs 6D) wouldn't be a bad idea.
I think you're right - I was thinking the 11-16 was usable bit it is indeed Crop body only...

I'm not sure about swapping to Nikon TBH - D700 was always on my Want list and the newer stuff also looks great, but it's hassle getting a whole new setup and I am sure I have read the D600s have had issues with some having oil or something on the sensor?? I will have to do more reading...

70D / 7D may be the way forward if I stick with Canon, APS-C would enable me to keep my current lenses (which I do like :p lol) and if the 70D ISO capabilities are better than the 7D and getting closer to the 6D/5D, along with the apparently excellent AF, it may be a Buy...

Now just to wait the 6 weeks till it comes out, then if it's a Buy, the few months till it drops to the price it will be long-term... lol

:)

Last edited: