ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon Lenses

Revels Mum & Sister
very nice photos mate the first one is good, it would be interesting to see what it would look like if you had used a faster shutter speed aswell
Shot on ISO800 at 1/4 sec from the EXIF, so must have been pretty darn dark!

Must admit the generally dark, low saturation feel is something I often see pictures shot with a 400D. Don't know why that is!? Reckon my eyes see in "vivid" so I like my pictures that way and Canons tend not to favour that ;).

The 10-20 wangle is a favourite tool of my UE buddies because obviously it allows you to capture a lot more in confined buildings. In fact I know folk who explore with nothing else but that!

If we go somewhere dude I will bring the D80 and the 10/20

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i got a shoot in a castle coming up soon.... will be shooting mainly with the 10-20 i guess sometimes it annoys me lol i used to love it and love the effects but u have to go carefull shooting in rooms and check the viewfinder and also your shots to make sure nothing is being to squuuuwifff lol would love a corrective lens.

Fiesta ST3
just ordered a 40d and i am looking for a new lens to go with it and after reading this thread and the reviews i think i will be purchasing a 24-105mm aswell. i currently have 3 lenses which i used on a EOS 1n
canon 20-35mm usm
canon 28-135mm is usm
sigma 70-200mm f2.8
my question is would you guys sell the 20-35mm and the 28-135mm to fund the new lens or keep the 20-35 for the extra 4mm? i am not sure how much i would get for the 2 lenses they are both mint boxed any ideas??

14' Leon Cupra 280
Yeh i'd sell both of those lenses. If you were ever in a situation where you'd need that extra 4mm then you would be better taking a few steps back to get more in the shot.

Won't regret the 24-105, has hardly been off the 5d - just great for nearly all shots. Is the cashback offer stil on with canon?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'd like to purchase the:

50mm f1.8

24-105 f4.0 L IS

and the EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS to replace my kit kens (that got damaged in vegas) to keep a wide lens as its nice and cheap.

those are my purchases for this year i think hopefully.

50mm f1.8

24-105 f4.0 L IS

and the EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS to replace my kit kens (that got damaged in vegas) to keep a wide lens as its nice and cheap.

If your serious about low light stuff look into the Sigma 30 f/1.8, better build HSM etc, mind I use the 28 f/1.8 USM but the Sigma appears to be sharper in the center in many reviews.. (found 50 to long for indoor work... just missed it as well, sold it cheap)

VaVa
I find the 50 too long sometimes too. Especially at a wedding i was just at. you can only walk back so far indoors lol.

Might try a 28!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i've ordered the 50mm f1.8 but I've been waiting for a week now for it to be dispatched, its on back order.

Revels Mum & Sister
Obviously I am using Nikon but thinking about the 85mm f/1.8 Nikon lense for portrait and general duties. Anyone used one?

Revels Mum & Sister
i got a shoot in a castle coming up soon.... will be shooting mainly with the 10-20 i guess sometimes it annoys me lol i used to love it and love the effects but u have to go carefull shooting in rooms and check the viewfinder and also your shots to make sure nothing is being to squuuuwifff lol would love a corrective lens.

If you are ever near me dude doing some work hollar at me would love to come along and watch

I would/wouldn't disagree.

Personally a 50mm is good, it doesn't really matter about the focal length (within reason) what matters is the shutter speed and f stop. If you've got a 50mm f/1.4 you can shoot at a much higher speed than say a 100mm f/2. 50mm is 80mm for me. Most professionals will choose between 50, 85 and 100 for portrait depending on the circumstances.

The 50mm are fast, sharp, and much closer to what the natural eye see's than other lenses.

Revels Mum & Sister
Dont forget the sensor on the Digi's mean it isnt true 50mm, if you want true 50mm dont you need something like 35mm?

Focal length for portrait does matter to some extent as you are limited to how far you can move backward and forward in a setup.

The 50mm, 85mm and 100mm all have an f stop of 1.8. From reading what people have said and speaking to several people there isnt a MASSIVE difference between 1.8 and 1.4 not for the extra cost anyway

Indeed, 50mm is 80mm, like I said, you would need a 35mm for true 50mm, but the 50mm (80mm) provide a pretty accurate life image.

Obviously this comes into it, I said within reason and hoped no one would say anything. If you are taking a portrait you should position it so you have room to back away (studio). Obviously not ideal for weddings..

They don't all have an f stop of 1.8, the canon 100mm is f/2 and I think the Nikon 105 is f/2 as well. I would never use f/1.4 for portrait because you would struggle a lot with focus, for instance you would find that the eyes would be in and the tip of the nose out..I would only get the f/1.4 for UE and night shots, the fact it can be used for portrait is a bonus.

106 GTi

50mm f1.8

24-105 f4.0 L IS

The problem as others have said the 24-105 won't be very wide on your 350D.

Obviously I am using Nikon but thinking about the 85mm f/1.8 Nikon lense for portrait and general duties. Anyone used one?

Use the Canon 85 f/1.8, its a good focal length for portrait shots on a crop camera.. its also quick to AF so great for low light sport, even shooting your pets down the park..

p.s. if you want to save money on Canon/Nikon gear drop this guy an e-mail, he's cheaper if you go outside of eBay..
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/FLASH-CAMERA stick Kerso into Google for loads of feedback...

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Indeed, 50mm is 80mm, like I said, you would need a 35mm for true 50mm, but the 50mm (80mm) provide a pretty accurate life image.

not 100% true depends on the sensor size... if u have a full frame ccd then 50mm lens is 50mm...

50mm is what the human eye see's 80mm is portrait lens what people call a portrait lens any way

Fo sho. I should have probably taken a little longer to explain myself, I was basing this on 400D and D40, I think the D40 has the same sensor size does is not?

Call me.

Revels Mum & Sister
Yeah the mac was not referring to non full frame SLR which most are. We cant have rich mummys that spoil us Malice xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;)

Revels Mum & Sister

Obviously this comes into it, I said within reason and hoped no one would say anything. If you are taking a portrait you should position it so you have room to back away (studio). Obviously not ideal for weddings..

They don't all have an f stop of 1.8, the canon 100mm is f/2 and I think the Nikon 105 is f/2 as well. I would never use f/1.4 for portrait because you would struggle a lot with focus, for instance you would find that the eyes would be in and the tip of the nose out..I would only get the f/1.4 for UE and night shots, the fact it can be used for portrait is a bonus.

Your right about the 100mm dude. Sorry I stand corrected I must have been imagining a f/1.8 lens!