ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cant get it In :-D

Clio 182
hello all,

trying to get the power lead into the car (for the sub), a member on here told me there is a gromit underneath the glove box and you can feed it through there, but i cant get it out or put the lead through anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

172 cup
you dont need to drill it..
push it from thru from the engine bay then grab the end in some pliers from inside and pull. theres a rubber part with some other wires going thru it, just make a new hole in it with a screwdriver first.

172 cup
I kept blowing fuses so went for the fatty (had 3 amps running thru it) never blew after that. The fuse was huge! about 50mm long and 15mm thick.
Managed to get it through after alot of potty mouthing.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Just grab as much of the grommet from the inside as you can and PULL.

The grommet pops out and you can then get a better look at it, or just run the cable through the hole (as in.. not through the grommet - but careful it doesn't rub).

Clio 182
ok cool, but if im feeding it through from the engine bay the heat shield is blocking the entrance, would i be better pushing it through from the inside?

172 cup
I found it easier to do from the engine bay tbh. Can't remember the heat shield getting in the way tho.. was a while ago tho. dont have it in anymore either stripped out the rear a while ago. The only problem iirc about doing it from the inside is you need to be quite 'bendy' as you have to get under the back of the glovebox. It's a head in the footwell, legs on the seat job. Not very comfy...

Clio 182
yeh i diffently cant see it in the engine bay do u know if the grommet pulls out? ive had a good pull on it and still no joy..

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
you need to remove the powersteering resevoir and coolant bottles, then get your hand down the back of the sound deadening

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
no... just to get to it from th bay side

you dont need to putt it off just make a hole in it with a screw driver..
seriously this has been covered countless times... use the search function

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I remember this being a pain.

I cut the terminal off the wire and put a screw or nail into the end of the wire and pushed it through after swearing alot.

Once you pull the deadening back you should be able to see the wire pretty easily.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
you need to remove the powersteering resevoir and coolant bottles, then get your hand down the back of the sound deadening

I went mad trying this yesterday! Gave up in the end :dapprove: I was trying to push it from the footwell into the engine bay, but I will try making the hole bigger first...

my question is, what the hell does the powersteering resevoir and coolant bottles look like!? I'm a complete n00b, I couldnt make out anything in the engine bay for getting to the glovebox.

PLEASE HELP :(

Clio 182
there on the passenger side one fairly sized sphyre shape and a smaller sqaurer one with a steering wheel on it.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I took a picture of where it seems I should be looking... is it the black thing behind the battery that needs taking out?

DSC00390.jpg

Focus RS Mk1
no thats the ecu! remove the tank behind that. just pulls up n off.

if your using 4 gauge its incredibly difficult to get it through, but persist it will go eventually.

anything smaller is very easy. anything bigger n i'd look for other means!

BMW F31
move the coolant tank out of the way (the one on the top left of that pic), then unclip and move the power steering tank (top right of that pic), then go into the passenger footwell, if you look up and behind the fuse box, under the dash, then you will see a rubber bung (get a torch to help you see).

then pull the rubber bung inwards and out of the hole, make a hole in it and feed the power cable from the engine bay through it. if the cable is too big to fit through the bung then run the cable through the hole in the firewall and push the rubber bung back as much as you can.

feeding the power cable next to the ecu and down into the hole will be easier to see once you've pulled the rubber out. get someone to poke there fingers through the hole if you cant see it, iirc the hole is just above the brake line distribution block.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay so I got the coolant tank off, which as basically made no difference what so ever :dead: (unless I need to take the hoses off as well!?)

And as for the power steering tank, well, I couldn't get it off! Is it meant to be as simple as "un-cliping" it? I even pushed the clips in with a screwdriver and put some force into it and it wasn't budging... didn't wanna go too mad without checking that I'm not missing something obvious?

This is the stage I got to! Another failed attempt lol :mad:

DSC00396.jpg

Clio 182
u have to be vigilant with the power steering bottle its not that tough to get out but u do have to give it a good wiggle, there is 2 pipes/leads running down the back of the noise deadening material follow them to the grommit and push the power lead through (usually helps sticking the lead to a screwdriver and pushing through.) hope this helps.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
take the power steering bottle off and pull the insulation back then it is down to the right hand side

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
u have to be vigilant with the power steering bottle its not that tough to get out but u do have to give it a good wiggle, there is 2 pipes/leads running down the back of the noise deadening material follow them to the grommit and push the power lead through (usually helps sticking the lead to a screwdriver and pushing through.) hope this helps.

Okay, vigilant it is :star: it's starting to make sence why I need to take it off now, attempt number two coming up this weekend lol. Cheers for your help so far guys (sorry for being a n00b!)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay... update: done this weeks attempt lol! Got a lot further, but you guessed it, still haven't done it... here's where I got too...

DSC00404.jpg

This is how it was left in the bay, as you can see I finally got the other part off! Does this look right to you? Then pull back the lining?

Now with the gromit I stuck a long screwdriver through it hoping to see it in the engine bay so I knew where I was aiming for. This is how that looked...

DSC00405.jpg

But, try as I might, I couldn't see where I was meant to be going? Nothing in any of the following photos!?

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

On another note, my coolant tank is running on minimum! Where do I get some new fluids? And the power steering tank, there doesn't seem to be anything in there at all :( so same question there too!

1.2 Clio
Grab the bonnet release cable grommit from inside, and yank it right out!
the use a screwdriver to make guide hole in this (use above the release cable)
15mm^2 thats nothing! i run 0guage (50mm^2) through mine! I did make a new one though :rasp:.

Then just get a small glass of soapy water, dip it in there then RAM and i mean RAM until you pop it through, push through a fair bit then put the grommet back into place. Then go round under the bonnet fish around down the back of that sound dead crap. Then pull the wire up carefully (it's easier if you have someone feeding the cable through from inside the car!)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
So that grommit bit is the right bit i've got isn't it? I tried pulling it so hard! Pilers and everything lol... I ended up ripping half of it off, dont think I'll be able to get the rest of it out as there's nothing to grab on to now :dead:

Thing is, behind the material in the engine bay I just don't know where I'm looking? That screwdriver was about 6" and try as I might I just couldn't find it :quiet:

Monaco RS Clio 172
after I picked my 172 up, I wasn't insured until the next day, so I took the time to install my amp cabling carefully.

took me 2 hours to get this thru, including finding the hole under the glove.

just snip the terminal ring off, push the cable thru the grommet, and push push push literally as much thru as poss until it eventually finds it's way out which it will. or mine I got the thin nosed plyers in. took a while, fiddly, grazed fingers, lots of swearing but job done in the end.

didn't remove anything. was pretty worried to as I only just bought it lol (excluding interior trims to hide the cables obviously)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay the only thing I'm thinking is that I stuck a 6" screwdriver through, and couldn't see it... if i stick the wire through I don't see how I'm going to see that? Unless I let it drop to the floor I guess.

One more attempt I reckon then out comes the cheque book lol, just cba! Corsa = 5 mins, CRX = 5 mins, 206 = 10 mins, Clio = over a month and counting! :quiet:

Monaco RS Clio 172
lol the wire is huge if you push it thru a few times and push plenty it will find its way near you soon enough

you won't see it as much as feel it sticking your fingers down the sound proofing...

Ph1 172 + Combo van
what cant you do you have put a screwdriver through the hole. now just go to the inside of the car and tape the cable to it.

i got a 4 gauge through that grommit easy peasy!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
what cant you do you have put a screwdriver through the hole. now just go to the inside of the car and tape the cable to it.

lol but try as I might, I couldn't see the screwdriver! :clown: I think I have a portal in my engine bay.

Hang on... unless the gap between the footwell and the bay is greater than 6"!? Though I seriously doubt it :S

1.2 Clio

lol but try as I might, I couldn't see the screwdriver! :clown: I think I have a portal in my engine bay.

Hang on... unless the gap between the footwell and the bay is greater than 6"!? Though I seriously doubt it :S

It's not, but it is however double skinned. So if you have gon in at a mad angle you would have gone between the 2 layers. Make sure the driver is perpendicular to the body when aiming at the cabin.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Done it! It's easy when you know how lol... I was poking through to the engine and my bro was looking out for it and grabbed it :star:

I was looking totally in the wrong place. I'm now boomtastic, just need to borrow some sticky stuff from work to stick the amp and sub down. How do other people stop them from moving around in the boot?

I stuck em down in my 206 and it ended up with the carpet getting ripped out :dapprove: