ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car’s driving itself !!!

Hi,

Can someone please give me a bit of advice as to why my car will drive down the road without me having my foot on the accelerator ? Im guessing its my cable sticking, are these hard to change ? Could it be anything else ?

Thanks for any help !!

Mike

huh?

were not talking hills here are we!? lol

No, the engine at idle still produces enough power to move the car if its in gear. If your clutch is in or a gear is not engaged, i say put your handbrake on for hills lol!

No its not just crawling along its accelerating at about 4500 revs, have to keep revving it to unstick it !?!? Ill try the Holy water trick anyway thanks !!

Ok cheers, Ill get the Haynes out and find the linkage, how hard is it to change the cable, is it a proper fiddly job or straight forward ?? Bit embarrassing sitting at lights with the car revving at 5000 rpm, people look at you like youre a right mailto:tw@t">tw@t !!

find your air box and the cable goes on to the bit the air box is attached to just grease it up thats all i did and mines fine now doubt its the cable

jaimie

sounds like cable stuck/frayed around the exit of the plastic housing. Take your airbox/induction kit off and with the throttle closed check the butterfly is actually closed ie vertical. then push the pedal slowly to the floor (engine off, obviously) and see if the throttle opens in proportion to the movement in the pedal.

If it seems to stick or catch anywhere then i should think the cables no good or wants adjusting. If all seems fine then it could be a loose throttle potentiometer (red sensor on the side of the housing) that is floating about giving crazy outputs. This may want re-setting and tightening up properly.