ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car alarm

172 Ph2
Hi, I have found out that my car is a parallel import from Holland and is mostly UK spec but doesn't have an alarm.

I'm looking to buy a cheap car alarm system and found one on Ebay which looks ok:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360200659714&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I would get somebody else to fit it as I'm not very good at that sort of stuff.

Would this alarm be any good, it looks ok on the advert?

By the way, I can't afford a TOAD/ Clifford etc

Thanks

I don't see why not, but I'm sure you can get cheap Toad Ai606's on eBay.

The one you posted looks alright but might be a bit cheap ie/ flimsy, things going wrong etc.

Up to you I guess!

Evo 6, E92 320d
The Toad Ai606 is a cracking system, can be had for under £200 fitted for the basic cat1 kit.

If you do go for a cat 1 system you'd ned to have it installed by a qualified installed otherwise it'l lnot be cat 1 status, you'll need the certificate too.

The main alarm posted up will probs do the job, but tbh for the mean time your probs just best off with a steering wheel lock (to immobilise it) then get a cat 1 alarm. They can be had (fitted) for under £300
What i'm saying is that the alarm posted up would be ok for a cheapish car, personally i'd want better on a 172.

172 Ph2
Thanks for all your comments, I've already got a very good steering lock which should be a good deterrant. The alarm is mainly for insurance purposes as I believe they ask if the car has an alarm fitted? I will have a look at Toads on Ebay as well

How much do companies usually charge to fit alarms roughly?

A3 Tdi
I had an alarm fitted by Safe'n'Sound Security a few months ago. You just need to google their name and youl find out that everyone raves about them. Really nice guys and they do a cracking job, very well respected on ZSOC.

They advertise mostly through Ebay, this alarm seems to suit your needs, £155 fully fitted.
And heres their main page.

Personally, I think the alarm youv found is guna be a bit cheap and nasty. The last thing you want is it going off giving false alarms. I should'nt think many alarm fitters would want to fit a cheaper alarm off eaby too.

As for fitting the alarm youv found, I think £30 for a call out fee and £70-120 to fit at a guess..

172 Ph2
Brilliant, thanks for the info mate. I'm very interested in the alarm you posted at that price! I notice you're in Herts. I live in Bucks so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for them to come out to me.

Clio Dynamique
Brilliant, thanks for the info mate. I'm very interested in the alarm you posted at that price! I notice you're in Herts. I live in Bucks so I guess it wouldn't be a problem for them to come out to me.

Just out of interest did you get an alarm fitted? I defo wud not use safensound again!