ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car basic toolkit to get by

Blackdavid

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172,Golf VR6
Hello guys,
Since i've started doing some longer trips with my 172, i was looking at putting together a box with some tools to help on the roadside.
I'm looking for ideas what tools are a must have for the clio i.e what bolts etx would be the most common?
For now i just have a tire repair kit with strips, a headlamp, some rags and pliers.

Blackdavid

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172,Golf VR6
Some nice suggestions right there, thanks!
I've already changed both crank position and all four injectors but a spare one doesnt hurt 🤣

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
As above, I used to carry all sorts, but the cars been decent to me over the years so all I have is standard wheel change kit came with the car and my AA

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I think there’s an OBD dongle in the glovebox of mine, with some cable ties.

Other than that there are some spare bulbs, a can of tyre weld, and a towing eye in the boot.

Breakdown cover is a no brainer.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've not had a car break down that's been fixable at the roadside for a very long time. They mostly just go into limp mode of some form and you drive home slightly slower.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I went to Mazda headquarters in Dartford, Kent in the RB last Friday. 520 miles there and back. I’d forgotten to stick my spare wheel in the boot as well as the jack/wheel brace. Yikes!

First proper journey over 100 miles since resto and ran beautifully.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
1717616337299.jpeg

Wera 8100 kit for 90% of issues that crop up
Compact breaker bar and socket for wheel nuts
Beef jerky tyre plugs and air compressor.
All fits quite nicely tucked away.

Used to keep a full service kit until i trusted the reliability

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
High Vis and RAC.. I do have a tyre pump and tyreweld. Don't even have a scissor jack mind the standard one is s**t anyway.

I've not had a car break down that's been fixable at the roadside for a very long time. They mostly just go into limp mode of some form and you drive home slightly slower.
This, I think the last time I used tools on a car to get home was when my bora spat the innards out of the turbo on Stelvio. Clamped the oil feed and switched the inlet pipework around and finished the trip with no boost.

Since then I've always made it home, up until a month ago when the Z3 decided its original water pump bearings were done and that needed pump/pullley/belt and got a tensioner, thermostat and rad.

Keep on top of maintenance, don't let the car sit for extended periods and breakdowns are very rare. Breakdown cover for the rest - you're not fixing much at the side of a busy road.