ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Insurance, when you car is wrote off.

RenaultSport 182
Hi Guy's,

This is a weird question so I apologise if this makes no sense what so ever.

My friends is a new driver and has been driving for just over 6 month. He has an old old clio which is pretty much falling to pieces. He's had quotes from several garages to get it fixed and its going to cost him 500 plus to fix it. The car isnt worth that so he plans to scrap the car, and use his push bike for a while till he saves up to get a new car.

Someone has told him not to cancel the insurance on the car after he scraps it cause he would loose his no claims bonus. Will this be allowed, I've always thought that if your car is scrapped or written off, you will obviously have no MOT or Tax and you cant drive it so therefore you cant be insurance on it? :S

We know you can suspend your insurance till you get a new car, but have never heard of keeping the insurance running when you've got nothing to be insured on :s

Its a weird one, and again apologies if I havn't explained it so well.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

muz

big fat japanese bus
If you declare SORN your insurance company will know, they all use linked Databases now (As I learned by buying tax on line, no documents required VERY SCARY)

however I do not know the legality of it TBH