ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car insurance, why so expensive????

clio 1.2 extreme :(
Ive nearly passed but cant get insurance on my 1.2 clio, its all like 3500.:(
Any1 know anyways around the companys, or any cheap companies?

1.2 Clio
I was with churchill last year. 17. No previous driving or anything. £1900.
Just phone around don't work on the internet. Quotes vary a lot on the phone to the net!

172 Cup
Admiral Group have always been cheapest for me as a younger driver, Bell particularly.

Give them a shot, if not you could always increase the excess if you have to, though adding your parents onto the policy is the best way to drastically reduce your policy cost, stupid...but it works..!

Also decreasing the annual mileage.

If you're using comparison sites, don't. You'll always be a lot cheaper going straight to the company for a quote.
Also as said adding your parents as named drivers should chop a bit off.

A3 Tdi
Give adrian flux a bell, if your trying to build up your no claims insure it third party because if you have a crash/knock you wont be claiming anyways......

As said previousley, put your mum, dad gran........ maybe increase the excess by a small amount...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
As said try an online quote with bell, at the moment i am insured in my mothers name but i am the main driver, i noticed this is frowned upon on here but my dad works in insurance and technically it is 100% legal.

This year i'm going on my own to build up some bonus, bell quoted me £1200 tpft at 19, no bonus, no points/accidents, good area, low risk job. Also, to get this price i have to add both my parents, as with just one it costs more, tell them its kept on the street too, this lowers the premium.

BTW i'm not telling you to go with bell, shop around but try them first and i think you will be very surprised.

Hope this helps
Mike

clio 1.2 extreme :(
Does any know if i could but my old man as the main driver even thought he drives another car, as he will use it?
Can he have two policies?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
When i was on my second year of driving i was insured with admiral. In my own name with a couple of small mods on the policy however i put my mum and nan as named drivers which bought my quote down from £1300 to £780 fully comp for 12months with a reasonable excess as well.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Jesus H Christ @ that quote

Try Elephant, Bell or Admiral there all the same company (EUI ltd)

Also if theres more than 2 cars in your household then it might be worth doing a multi car quote, we have 5 cars insured for £1850.

when i was 17/18/19/20 havin mum as named driver brought it down by a few hundred, but now im 21 she increased it by £50 lol so off it now :) yea elephant, bell and admiral are very good for young or new drivers. im with herts insurance, highly recommended also. try tescos? parents are with them.

BG 182 FF
direct line i had my first year with m8y was 1600 quid. But try liverpool and victoria and see if they do the 2 year no claims bonus for your 1st year it may be a bit more but may save you a bit of money next time around.

Bux

Golf GTD
I got my first year's insurance recently. Cost me £1600 with Churchill (fully Comp)

RB 182
As said try an online quote with bell, at the moment i am insured in my mothers name but i am the main driver, i noticed this is frowned upon on here but my dad works in insurance and technically it is 100% legal.
Pretty sure this is illegal...? People will start asking questions if you crash and they find out you drive it everyday!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure this is illegal...? People will start asking questions if you crash and they find out you drive it everyday!
But i am declared as the main driver, my mum is just the owner, keeper and policy holder, technically legal. Its all changing soon anyway into my name which i wish i had done from day 1, then i could afford to insure a 172, so my advice is to go solo from day 1.

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
I have been listed on my dad's insurance on the volvo for the last year or so. He stated that I was the main driver, but he owned the car and was insuring it. This was with Norwich union and it reduced the cost of the quote from when I was only a named driver.
I have just been quoted £1350 for me in my name with my gf as a learner. I am 21 with no NCB and she is 20.

350Z GT
Mine was just under £2000 last year on a Group 14 Racing Puma, sold that and got the Megane Coupe still a Group 10 1.6 16v but only paying £1300. Was 17 with 0NCB with both of those prices. Looking forward to renewal time in March!!

BMW E46 and E36
I paid £1600 with churchill (17 with 0 NCB) on a 1.2 16v dynamique... then wrote it off not long ago so looking again unfortunately. BUT as some others have said, putting parents on the policy as named drivers also helps, and doing pass plus does too (took 10% off my policy with churchill)

Mine was just under £2000 last year on a Group 14 Racing Puma, sold that and got the Megane Coupe still a Group 10 1.6 16v but only paying £1300. Was 17 with 0NCB with both of those prices. Looking forward to renewal time in March!!

How did you get them that cheap at 17 with 0 years NCB??
Who were you insured with?

when i first passed i got i got qouted 3.5k for my 1.2 but its a 06 plate wheels tints zorst and bodykit listed, i shopped around and found a qoute for 1700 ish about 20% interest on the monthly paymenst which sux, im with Quinn Direct and have Windscreen cover FTFW!

Evo 8 MR
You have to remember though with insurers such as Directline and others that may be cheap/cheaper you won't be able to modify your car as I know for sure Directline will not insure any modded car to a driver under 25 so bare this in mind before you jump at the cheapest quote.

120d M Sport
tell them its kept on the street too, this lowers the premium.

Mike

Didnt know this...I always tell them its garaged as it often is. Why would it be lower for parking it on the street surely its safer in a garage?

How would they ever be able to find out who drives it everyday?

C

caz

mine is £870 with breakdown cover for 10 months insurance but I get a years no claim after that. on my own insurance altho my dad is also on there in case he needs to drive it. I'm with Diamond. May not help you considering you're a bloke..

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Didnt know this...I always tell them its garaged as it often is. Why would it be lower for parking it on the street surely its safer in a garage?

It is cheaper to declare on the street with bell, think it must be because if its on drive/garage they know which house to steal the keys from.