ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car juttering low revs.

Just dropped my dad off round the corner and on the way back it started juttering at low revs and when trying to accelerate. Not harsh but noticable and juttering everywhere.

The car was on the petrol light, I thought it was only since ive got back from the gym but apparently my mums taken it out as well on the red light :mad:.

I just got it to the petty station and put a tenner in and was still juttering a bit, although driveable, I drove it around lightly for a while and up a hill the "toxic fumes light" started flashing at me, But only for 10 seconds then stopped.

At first i was thinking because i let it stupidly get so low on petrol, But now im thinking it could be something like the Lambada sensor? Just guessing i know nothing really.

Cheers for any help.

Vee 6
Best to get a plug in on it, Mine would die and stutter but no light showed a fault.

Got it checked out and the Lambda was faulty,

Cheers for the response, Ive driven to the gym today, It feels a lot better. still juttering if i put my foot down, Could it be one of the injectors? letting it run so low on petrol meaning its dragged some dirt in and blocked one?

On idle it sounds like something isnt working, Cant really describe it but wont pull every other few seconds with the foot down. (its not on limp mode).

Guess im gonna have to take it to a garage and get the fault looked at.

Thats what i think now, The lamaba senor wouldnt start failing because of low petrol would it? that would have to be a coincidence that it went at the same time?

What would case the toxic fumes light to come on?

mx5
Not sure if its the same, but when my car juddered lots pulling away it was the gearbox mount on the way out. Once I got a new one fitted it stopped completely

R26
The car was on the petrol light, I thought it was only since ive got back from the gym but apparently my mums taken it out as well on the red light :mad:.

Lol i seem to say this on a daily basis lately on here:

Exactly the same thing happened to me, to the letter. Low fuel, spluttering and juddering, limped to get petrol, sort of helped but juddering remained...emission light was on....sounded a bit *funny* on idle. Emissions light will continue to come on and off as and when it feels.

Check the sparks, coilpacks, HT leads, injectors and oxygen sensor. Mine was a burnt out spark but I changed the rest whilst i was at it. All very easy do it yourself jobbies. Parts at your local eurocar parts.

Not sure if its the same, but when my car juddered lots pulling away it was the gearbox mount on the way out. Once I got a new one fitted it stopped completely

The gear stick is moving a fair bit.. But i think it would be coincidence that the gearbox mount went the same time ive let it run too low on petrol, Could be though i suppose.

R26
I'd had the engine mounts replaced on my car, it's a very different type of juddering and wouldn't cause the emissions light so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that!

I can'tthink of any way to test the coilpack other than to replace it. Take out the sparks and check for blackening. Inspect the HT leads for white residue, especially where two of the leads touch.

If you're quick I can take a photo of my sis's 1.2 engine bay and give you a quick idea how to do this but I leave for holidays this afternoon.....

And yes....replacing one spark plug (£12 for a RS one) solved the problem nicely.

Im gonna go and have a look at the car in a min, Is there any guides for checking the coilpacks anyone?

I dont have a sparkplug tool, But ive got a socket set, Will they do?

Well i took it to a garage and they said fill it to the brim with petrol and drive it well, Filled it to the brim with petrol and drove it around for about an hour and a half, Feels a lot better. Still abit hesistant in lower gears.

I said what about petrol treatments just to see what he said, He showed us one he sells but said just fill it up and drive it.

Hope it gets better over time.

Just needs a good service now i think !

I think thats what it is, If i chose 4th whilst doing 30mph and put my foot to the floor to build up speed it will jerk a bit and i think its under fueling..

That or something else, I dont know but its anoying!

ya, mine did this and would stall in 1st and jerk in the rest. Get it cleaned and clean the filter. Thats what was wrong with mine

Does anyone know if the fuel filter is inside the tank on a 1.2 ?

Its got better today, But its still doing it. Air filter is new so thats not the problem i dont think.

The gear leaver will move slightly and feel like a lost of power for a few blips.

clio
im having the exact same problem lad,

i have changed the plugs, coilpack oxygen sensor, cold start sensor. next thing for me to do is go to my mechanic and get him to clean out the fuel filter, if that fails its off to renault garage and fork out £120 for a new lamda sensor.

does anyone know where fuel filter is on the clio 1.2 16v?

^Mine is hesistating when reversing, in 1st. And driving in higher gears with the foot down.

I think its either fuel filter, spark plugs or injectors.

Is the fuel filter inside the petrol tank anyone? Mine isnt outside next to the tank like on some models. And i cant find it in the haynes manual (maybe havent looked properly)

My emmisions light is on.. It flashed at me today after driving home, Is there a chance the cats over heating?

Cheers for any help.

Clio Expression (2003)
Try one or more of the Injectors. See the thread I started. We've just got to the bottom of what was causing the same problems on my girlfriends car