ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car ramps

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The reason this whole thing came about though was because the axle stand slipped, so really it didn't fail at all.

Whether it was down to incorrect placement or the sill giving way, either way the stand didn't fail.

The same could happen with those ramps, probably a lot less likely but it could still happen.
I agree but its in my head now after having a close call. Nothing like a close call to make you realise your morality. Axle stands can and do fail, so do these posh lifts, I just want to know if they do go, have I got a chabce to get out

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If you are thinking of investing in a lift, I would say go and do it - I had a garage built a couple of years ago and made sure I had enough left in budget to buy a scissor lift - which I sourced from BH Repairs, who I chose as they aren't far from me, and are also a lift repair/servicing company, not just a importer/reseller of Chinese kit (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-c...972805?hash=item3624d1f245:g:QcQAAOSw7NNUHI9R) and it has been great - I have used it for a range of jobs on my MX5, clio and also building my exocet kit - next job is looking like the cambelt on my brother's newly acquired cup.
I have found it a great balance of convenience and useability for my (normal height!) garage - it lifts to 1.25m (4ft) which is great for doing most jobs - leaving you a nice working height and plenty of space to get under and around the car... not the cheapest, but certainly a good addition to the garage - and on the safety question it has a substantial mechanical ratchet-type locking system which will hold it in place should the hydraulics fail.
View attachment 1344729D1CBEE24-F81A-4415-B3EB-B54536EDA45E_zpsajbzgeyi on Flickr
While I like these, its a bit of a ball ache having one in the way of you being under the car.

I want a 2 post lift really. Shame they are so dear.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Clios are one of the best iv found for jacking points and axle stands at the front anyway, back is a different story.
Can get the jack in at a decent strong point which also leaves a clear point for the axle stand.
Can see where it can easily go wrong, I raise one side up maybe half way on my axle stand and do the otherside to 3/4 and go back to the first side and take it up to 3/4.
Iv found when going the full height, straight away there is often a bit of a lean on them and just nevee trust it. Once in position though their rock solid, always give it a good “earthquake test” once sitting right!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Clios are one of the best iv found for jacking points and axle stands at the front anyway, back is a different story.
Can get the jack in at a decent strong point which also leaves a clear point for the axle stand.
Can see where it can easily go wrong, I raise one side up maybe half way on my axle stand and do the otherside to 3/4 and go back to the first side and take it up to 3/4.
Iv found when going the full height, straight away there is often a bit of a lean on them and just nevee trust it. Once in position though their rock solid, always give it a good “earthquake test” once sitting right!

Excellent, I’ll use that on my clio... if I ever buy one :nomouth:
Lol

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_2017-11-11-00-30-39.png

Probably a bad time to post this then that I spotted on another Facebook group the other day.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
But the lupo only weighs a few grams and as it's not got a long way to fall before resting on his skull the impact will be low. I reckon he'd survive.

i can confirm it doesnt matter how far it falls - it still f**king hurts!

172 Ph2
That's no hardship though. Currently im dragging planks of wood and various breeze blocks out of the garden.

172 Ph2
Yes they do look fairly steep Steve. Hopefully nothing a small plank of wood or the above link wouldn't fix.

**will post wanted ad for new bumper soon**

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Yes they do look fairly steep Steve. Hopefully nothing a small plank of wood or the above link wouldn't fix.

**will post wanted ad for new bumper soon**

TBH, I cannot think of that many jobs that you can do underneath a car with the wheels on.

172 Ph2
Yes that did cross my mind, although lately i seem to have been doing just that.
fair point though.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Why not just make some ramps ? I made some about 20 years ago out of 18mm plywood, they're solid as a rock. I made them to suit my car , length , height etc ...... job done .

182 Trophy
I bought the Ranger quickjack a while back. It was one of the first delivered to the UK. It's fairly expensive for what it is - I was looking at the drive over scissor lifts but what swayed me towards the quickjack was the fact it's portable!
I keep it in the middle of my garage and drive my car over it. If I'm looking to lift the car I just pull each side of the lift out to under the sills, put the rubber blocks under the jacking points and connect the hoses up to the pump. I can have my car in the air in 5 minutes or less and it's VERY SECURE!
Plus I can take it out onto my drive to work on cars that won't fit in the garage. It's very portable -- Each side of the lift probably weighs about 40kg but has wheels on 1 end so you can wheel it about. Mine is the 12v model and is so handy!

I have used it for our 7 seater Toyota Verso that weighs about 1600kg and it lifts it no problem and feels very safe.
It's very low profile when stored and my Megane on Cooksports can drive over it with room to spare.

It makes getting the car in the air so easy and safe and I would really recommend it to anyone.
The price can be justified by the years of safe and easy car lifting it will provide.