ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car recommendations, diesel for around £1500

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys!

This post is for my cousin who is at the moment having alot of problems with his car (1.4 tdi polo) he got ripped off at a dealer and got given a car that was smashed up and repaired poorly, but he doesn't know anything about cars.

He was thinking of financing a mazda 2 and I immediately rejected his idea due to the fact that finance is bad (no matter how tempting) considering he will be paying £3000+ the cars worth :L

The problem with financing is that people who think they can afford something get sucked into it. I am 17 and earn enough to finance a 2014 aston v8 vantage, but that doesnt mean I can afford one..

So I would like to get him a smart looking car suitable for his age (24) for around £1000 (max £1500) or I just want to know what you guys would recommend?

I said a clio 1.5dci but there are so many cars out there, his mileage at the moment is about 60 a day for 6 days a week.

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
306 hdi, cheap, cheerful, bomb-proof

Edit: not so much cheerful, but meh, can look alright too ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
^^ Dturbo is a good shout. And anything with a 1.9 VAG tdi engine in it.

Anything else is inferior.

Finance a Skoda Citigo at 0% for £99 a month with £99 deposit. Pay what the car is worth and no more.

Nippy 3-cylinder (petrol) engine and does 68mpg. Mrs has just ordered the sport!

Many.
Finance a Skoda Citigo at 0% for £99 a month with £99 deposit. Pay what the car is worth and no more.

Nippy 3-cylinder (petrol) engine and does 68mpg. Mrs has just ordered the sport!

Having driven a Mii, not a bad car, quite slow and not brilliant on Petrol though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Can say that about a Clio DCi, or a Golf's turbo. Everycar breaks down

I'm not denying that, but the law of averages dictate that a PD 1.9tdi will way outlast a ford Tdci.

That's why T reg Golf tdi's are £1500 and 54 plate focus Tdci's are the same price.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Couldn't agree more mate. I know a gentleman that ordered 2 recently. Stupidly good deal.

330i. E30 Touring.
My DCi is for sale. Pretty high miles, but seems perfectly good so far.

12 months MOT and 11 months tax too...

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
We pick our CitiGo up in the next few weeks. Great wee car IMO. Can't say I've read any experiences like Alex's however. Possibly not of interest to the op either.

Many.
I'm not denying that, but the law of averages dictate that a PD 1.9tdi will way outlast a ford Tdci.

That's why T reg Golf tdi's are £1500 and 54 plate focus Tdci's are the same price.

Thats VW Tax. Everything VW is more than the equivalent vehicle.

My brother is a VW scene idiot.

Many.
We pick our CitiGo up in the next few weeks. Great wee car IMO. Can't say I've read any experiences like Alex's however. Possibly not of interest to the op either.

It was probably how I drove it, and how the owner drove it. I think we were thinking of the claimed figures too much, rather than real world. I think I got circa 40mpg out of it.

I found there to be lots of noise, but not a lot of go, normal for a small CC three cylinder.

Otherwise it was a nice car, interior wasn't bad at all, wasn't the worst thing to look at, well specced and didn't handle too bad at all.

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
306 DTurbo, I loved mine, only cost me £300 and I ran it for a year. It had 180k on the clock and was still running strong when I sold it.

The Mii is the shittest one out of the three! Even though they are all the same :eek:

It's nippy for what it is IMO and I would definitely own one if I needed a small economic car.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys I have told him about the skoda, pretty sweet deal!! He lives in Manchester, so his insurance might be a bit pricey to justify driving a golf.

Now I am just awaiting his reply!

Suzuki Jimny
He's 24, so insurance wont really be an issue. I'm 24 and insurance on my 200 and fiesta is £450.

He should get a 172.

Also, what the hell do you do at 17 to afford a brand new AM?

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
@MattW I am a electronic design engineer in oil and gas industry (Asian thing haha) don't want to be there long term tho! Want to start my own business/company in the automotive swing of things! Also his insurance is £2300 for the polo now and that's registered in Leicester (he lived there for a year) if he reverted it back to Manc it would be £4500

Last edited: