ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Rigs?

BMW Z4
Hi Guys,

Been thinking about this for a while but don't really know where to start.
I dont know the price range for a car rig so not sure if its going to be possible for me to buy one (justifiably).
Where do you get them what is a good make and what are the price ranges? links would be great. I think DanFreeman is the man with the info (could be wrong)

Thanks Greg.

Hi Greg,

It's pretty difficult to just buy one, there's a company in America called autmotiverigs.com that sell one, but it aint cheap!

I built my own based on their design. It can either go under the car, using their clamping system, like this:

DSC_0966.jpg

OR..it can go on top, which is the more common method as the under-car method doesn't work for all cars:

IMAG0218.jpg

It wasn't that cheap to build, but not quite as hard as I expected. Although I did have help, as the aluminium poles were welded by a Dad's friend.

If you go with the on-top-of-the-car option, you just need some aluminium poles (or CF if you want to push the boat out!), and two suction mounts.

Hope that helps for now, any other Qs, just ask :)

My mate built one on here the same as yours Dan. Infact it's GrumpyTwigs big brother!

He has got some epic shots with it!

My mate built one on here the same as yours Dan. Infact it's GrumpyTwigs big brother!

He has got some epic shots with it!

He lives about a mile from me, might need to befriend him.

Still looking to build one myself actually.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
He lives about a mile from me, might need to befriend him.

Still looking to build one myself actually.

I've got all the parts in my garage, just not found the time nor inclination to put it together and learn.

Maybe this year I will.

Do it!

I'm hoping to do more automotive photography this year, I think I did one shoot last year ffs!

Might be rigging my mates scooby this weekend if all goes to plan :)

RIP Dan
Must be difficult driving around town with these rigs on, a bit dangerous for pedestrians and bikers.

In case you don't realise I am jesting.

Where do you drive with them? Tracks?

Tracks?! I wish!!

Roads that you know are either VERY quiet, or have room for cars to get past.

Most places I've used mine are on industrial estates at weekends which are usually dead, places like that. But the best locations usually have loads of traffic :(

RIP Dan
With my driving/luck/mech skills rigs are an accident waiting to happen.:eek:

Look forward to seeing the results Dan.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm off from 14th of Feb for a week, but I'll have sporadic days off until then.

I need to take it down to my uncles to get a hole drilled for a head, and I need to get some sort of sleeve as its currently in 2 parts and I want it to come apart to fit in the car, shouldn't cost too much though. I'll try and sort it this week. Drop me a text when your off :)

BMW Z4
I really wanna have a go but i dont trust myself with 1)i was wanting to do it for BREMBO (user on here) he has just bought his V6 and wanting photos done for when the car comes out the garage in summer i dont know if id trust myself with a DIY job on his precious toy and 2) with my camera on a DIY rig lol if i damaged my camera id be humped and have to save up for yet another one. Dan when you said the company in the USA does them but not cheap how £££ are we talking here?

Thanks for the replys guys shows what AMAZING photos can be acheived with kit like this.

BMW Z4
JESUS, have you got a list of stuff i would need and a sort of guide as to how to make it atall Dan?

Oil Burner
Bare in mind that most of these shots are taken at about 3mph. The camera is pretty unlikely to get damaged...<br><br>It is worth taking care where on the panels you mount the rigs, i know a friend that managed to damage his roof with his DIY kit, but i think this was mainly because he was driving around a carpark like a hooligan in an effort to get a drifting shot :p

Dream on if you think you'll ever use a rig like that! That's top of the line stuff, probably cost more than that R8 tbh!

I don't have any guide at all, I just made it up as I went along really!

BMW Z4
LOL i would be to nervous to even touch it incase something happened to it, What materials did u use/where did you get it?, How do u fix the camera mount onto it/where do u buy seperate camera mounts? and how do u make clamps ect? total NOOB to this! any help atall is appreciated.

I bought some aluminium tubing from a metal works place (we deal with them through work), my dad's friend welded the ends up, so they can slide into each other.

Camera attaches to the tubing using a manfrotto 035 super clamp with a tripod head fixed to it.

The metal work guy at work helped me modify the suction mounts so they each have an 035 super clamp attached to them, holding the tubing at the car end.

BG DCI
Refreshing an old thread!!

How does the under car rig work! Get the suction clamp one!! But this one seems better for editing after!

Thanks

It clamps on to your sills. Almost finished mine for suction, and am looking at being able to modify for under car.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Right, sorry to hijack this thread. I remember a while back someone made their own rig for timelapse so the camera moved slowly across a rail. Would anyone know who did it? Or better still, what thread it was in?
Cheers.

Keep looking into this, then I think about the amount of Photoshop work that surely must be required...I hate photo editing at the best of times. I'm presuming one shot is actually an awful lot of work to process?