ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car set on fire today

Renault Clio 182
Came home from a long drive today, weather looked good so got the vax out, all of a sudden the steering collum started smoking before I knew it there was fflames comming out, I managed to get my extinguisher out and put it out, looking further into it appears the left stalk was what set fire, anyone have any ideas real gutted as the car is a mess any help really appreciated

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Gutted mate, can't really help as I'm not up on electrics.

That said, pull the steering cowling off and take some pictures it might help people answer you.

Renault Clio 182
Removed stalk it's melted bad and just found some melted wires around the cruise control button? Will load some photos up tomorrow

Renault Clio 182
Turned out the horn wires fused together causing the back of the clock spring to melt and catch on fire, steering wheels cooked swell as has melted the back and some fire damages to the airbag, so both being disposed of,

Best 15 quid i have ever spent my fire extinguisher!

Renault Clio 182
No aftermarket wheel all standard called around a few places and turns out this has happened to few people but never caught on fire

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
new interior loom, clocks and indicator stalk!! could fix it yourself for under £100. however it wont be the easiest job in the world!! the entire dash would have to come out!!

sucks to hear that this kind of thing happens tbh, the fuses should stop anything getting to dangerous points!!

Renault Clio 182
Don't need the loom as no damage has been done and have already got hold of the parts needed so will be fitting once here, fuse blew but still caught fire within the clock spring

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
the horn wires fused together on mine a bit ago, however i was lucky as it didnt catch on fire, just kept the horn on constantly bit of and embarassing moment when i pull up my street at 9:30pm with the horn going. luckly theres an auto electriction a few doors down so he came and turned it all off.

however new steering wheel harnes was £145+ Vat from renault and then £50 in labour.

Renault Clio 182
I was being sarcastic hence the "no the battery is disconnected" first thing I did was disconnect it, my wheel is to badly damaged to just have it repaired so going to put an aftermarket one in for the time being and see about picking another up in the near future, the clockspring and the stalks are all nicely melted together wich was not cheap just a pain in the ass to be honest its been one thing after another recently

Petrol Blue 182.
I did a dash conversion from a 182 into my old 1.2 and the stalk set on fire. was pretty mental at the time it happend, I now look back and laugh about it.

just bought another stalk from the scrap yard inthe end for £2

Renault Clio 182
£2 Bargain mine is all being replaced with brand new dont want to trust any second hand parts due to the fact there was a fire

Astra (H) VXR
Just out of interest had somebody changed the fuse in the past and put an over rated fuse in its place as it should have blown long before it got hot enough to ignite?

Mk2 Ph2 172
This happened to me today... Removed the opm aftermarket wheel to replace it with a Retrimmed standard I had done!!!

Found that the fitting of the aftermarket wheel was not the best and as I took the boss of the horn just sound off and stayed on!!!

I found that the wires to horn all melted and have looked like it had been like that for some time... just abit of movement from me made them touch ???

Picking up the parts from the dealer tomorrow to replace The squib etc...

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Jesus this is worrying!? A standard car manages to set itself on fire???? Talk about making me paranoid!!!! What the hells that all about????!

Renault Clio 182
had the car almost a year now, im so glad i decided to hoover it as if i had gone in and started watching tv or something the car would have burnt to the ground the fire extinguisher made one hell of a mess but been cleaning her up this week and its now starting to look ok again parts comming in tommorow so should be all back up and running i have had to order a aftermarket wheel for the time being so i have just got an oreca motorsport wheel and hub just while i save up to get an original

PB Clio 172
Turned out the horn wires fused together causing the back of the clock spring to melt and catch on fire, steering wheels cooked swell as has melted the back and some fire damages to the airbag, so both being disposed of,

Best 15 quid i have ever spent my fire extinguisher!

too right, I have one screwed to my sub and people laugh at it but you never know when you may need it. I have a carbon fibre one cost me £30.