ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car shakes at 4k rpm plus, especially 3rd gear

Megane R26
When I accelerate through the gears, it's fine until I get to third gear from about 4-5k rpm. The whole car shakes noticeably. It's not wheel balance as the steering wheel doesn't shake.

I've checked the engine mounts and given the engine a proper good shove and it hardly moves. When I first noticed it I thought I was going over slightly bumpy road surface but then it happened again on perfectly flat asphalt. There's no difference to my mpg and like I say, there's no difference in performance.

Megane R26
It turns out it was the offside drive shaft. The boot had split and by the time I changed it there were no ball bearings and splines left on one of the three bits that goes inside the gearbox.

Megane R26
The driver's side is dry. Most of the rollers were sat in a big pool of grease on the plastic engine tray at the bottom.