ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car still pulling left ALOT !!

Monaco 172 Ph2
Had a big issue a few months ago with the car skipping out over bumps,

since then ive had different tyres put on, had the car re-alligned, replaced the rear shockers and also had a new drivers side ball joint (both fronts now done in space of 3 month), then re-alligned again,

The car no longer skips out and is a lot better for handling,

but still seriously goes off to the left when i let go of the wheel,

Just found the MOT cert for july and found an advisory, for the nearside top suspension mount..........

Could this be the cause of the problem if its knackered ???? (had everything else checked when ball joint was being done and all ok)

Thanks.

Monaco 172 Ph2
Hmmmmmm..... Had the tracking done properly?

Wishbones? Top mounts, if knackard, should be changed.

Yeah had everything re-done at kwik-fit full 4 wheel allignment, even got the printouts to show the before and afters LOL

Bottom end of suspension ie. track rods, wishbones and now ball joints all ok,

And as top mount was an advisory on the MOT didnt really think to change them as problems seems to lie elsewhere,

Would a knackered top mount on the passenger side cause it to go seriously left ??

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have a similar issue which I'm getting fixed tomorrow appears I have 2 different wishbones on my car.

Very much doubt its your issue though and it would show up on the geo printout.

Monaco 172 Ph2
Not that seriously IME, but maybe.

Post up the tracking print outs if you can? Any snapped springs or anything?

No more issues with suspension (yet) had it all checked when had rear shocks done the other week,

If i replace the top mounts will i need it re-alligning AGIANNNNN

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I had this, turned out a drop link had snapped. (different on a 1*2 though I believe)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Is it pulling under acceleration or even if it's rolling?

I had a nackered driveshaft that was causing a pulling issue.

Monaco 172 Ph2
Is it pulling under acceleration or even if it's rolling?

I had a nackered driveshaft that was causing a pulling issue.

Even when its rolling :S

No other issues with the suspension at all other than top mount advisory, but dont wanna put 2 new tops mounts on and have to get it re-alligned to find it wasnt the issue,

No one else can see anything else wrong tho

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Front shocks? I know you said you'd replaced the rears, I've got a pair of low mileage front shocks for your car if you want them for it. I think they've only covered around 25-30k miles

I've also got a spare top mount I can sort out for you

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Kwik-Fit might of aligned the wheels up with the steering wheel squint? Try a different place for alignment.

Monaco 172 Ph2
Kwik-Fit might of aligned the wheels up with the steering wheel squint? Try a different place for alignment.

No they didnt - kwik fit local to me havent done that for years, they have just got in over the last month a brand new piece of kit this ----> http://www.hunter.com/alignment/hawkeye_elite/index.cfm

Which tbf looks like the dogs danglies in wheel alignment LOL

Front shocks? I know you said you'd replaced the rears, I've got a pair of low mileage front shocks for your car if you want them for it. I think they've only covered around 25-30k miles

I've also got a spare top mount I can sort out for you

And front shocks are fine at the mo thats why i havent changed them - just the top mounts im concerned about,

Alternatively if in some way my front brakes are "corroding" would this possibly cause the issue if one side is sticking maybe ???

Trying to think of the cheapest options fist that may cuase it :(

Monaco 172 Ph2
If one brake is sticking, you should know about it.

Yh i thought i would of LOL

So if i get the top mounts changed will this mean i have to get it re-alligned again (as you do changed most steering and suspension bits) ???

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I wouldnt have thought so mate, although if its still pulling all over I doubt its your top mounts.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Obvious thing that may have been overlooked, have you got directional tyres on the front? If so, are they both on the correct way?

Monaco 172 Ph2
I wouldnt have thought so mate, although if its still pulling all over I doubt its your top mounts.

Its not pulling allover anymore all thats been sorted its just goes off to the left (and no its not due to the camber of the road LOL)

And yeah tyres are on ok conti premium conatct - and tyre pressures all ok too :s

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If it just goes left, the steering wheel just needs centering. (so needs tracking re-done)

If you hold the wheel right, does it go straight perfectly?

Monaco 172 Ph2
If it just goes left, the steering wheel just needs centering. (so needs tracking re-done)

If you hold the wheel right, does it go straight perfectly?

Yes but then when i let go it goes left,

But the wheel not being staright doesnt bother me and been told before it shouldnt affect the car going straight or not as long as the steering/suspension is alligned correctly :S - unless obviously i hold the steering wheel straight therefore it would steer left slighty (if that makes sense)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
TBH, if kiwk fit did the alignment, and you drove off down the road with it pulling left, if you took it back they should be able to see what component is worn in like 2 minutes on a ramp.

Monaco 172 Ph2
TBH, if kiwk fit did the alignment, and you drove off down the road with it pulling left, if you took it back they should be able to see what component is worn in like 2 minutes on a ramp.

They checked over everything before they did it 2 days before thats how i knew the ball joint had gone then they checked it again before they did it the day i booked it in so nothing else was up apart from the BJ hence why im confused ha ha

Monaco 172 Ph2
If that's the case, go along with your left foot lightly on the brake and let go of the wheel, see if it still pulls left.

Im assuming by you telling me to do this if i apply lightly to the brake it would stop it from going left ???

And this would tell me its the caliper sticking ??

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, as rob said. To test drive with both hands on the wheel, and be on the brakes and accelerator at the same time. Then when you are travelling at a constant speed (not accelerating or slowing) then take your hands off the wheel.

Doing this would ensure both left and right brakes are on so you should go straight.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Ok i think i catch ya drift LOL

Sounds a bit tricky to me tho tbh

whats tricky about lightly applying the brake?! :S

the guide pins can sometimes rust and stick on the brakes as well as the main piston ram. If your having trouble getting you head around applying the brake, you probably wont be able to fix this yourself. Garage can have it done within an hour though.

Monaco 172 Ph2
I didnt mean tricky as in applying the break as obvs i wouldnt be driving if i didnt know how to do that LOL

Its just i have a heavy left foot - so first few times of tryin i practically slammed on ha ha

And when i got into the swing of it at speed i couldnt really tell,

But gonna be changing front brakes soon anyway so will sort the calipers out too just incase.