ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car turning over but won't start :(

182 & Porsche 986
since it snowed last week my car hasn't moved, tried to start it on friday and it was dead, sunday we tried to jumpstart it but its just turning over and not starting,
my boyfriend put his battery in from his 182 and its still doing the same.. any ideas? i don't know what to do.

182 & Porsche 986
I don't have homestart just roadside so i rang to see how much it would be to come out and they sadi and extra £81 !:(
what did they say?

Barge
Push it a mile down the road?

Is it on a hill, or flat? Clart had a similar problem a few weeks back. Turns out it was his fuel was empty, stupid I know but if it's low and on a slant it could be an issue.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
A lot of people on various problems have had similar problems with non-starting cars due to damp/cold weather.

If it's turning over but not starting then you probably need to check if the engine is getting fuel, and the spark plugs are sparking.

Spark plugs prob easiest to check next - take them out one by one and check - if no spark then it might be problem with the coil pack?

If you're getting a spark but still not starting it's probably a fuel problem.

182 & Porsche 986
Push it a mile down the road?

Is it on a hill, or flat? Clart had a similar problem a few weeks back. Turns out it was his fuel was empty, stupid I know but if it's low and on a slant it could be an issue.

it's got plenty of fuel, its ona slight hill in a residential car park, so we cant really push it to start as theres not much room and if it doesnt work i will block everyone in and not get it back up the hill

Claire you checked spark plugs? Could be all sorts of things!

The spark plugs were changed in the summer, so i wouldnt expect it to be those..
A lot of people on various problems have had similar problems with non-starting cars due to damp/cold weather.

If it's turning over but not starting then you probably need to check if the engine is getting fuel, and the spark plugs are sparking.

Spark plugs prob easiest to check next - take them out one by one and check - if no spark then it might be problem with the coil pack?

If you're getting a spark but still not starting it's probably a fuel problem.

Thanks all

Theres a mechanic coming out tonight to have a look at it, so hopefully it will get sorted.

182 & Porsche 986
Had a mechanic come over and he thinks its immobilized thats why it cuts out when turning over, do you think this sounds right?
Says need to take it to his garage to it would need drying out.

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Dirty TDC sensor - you can clean it - AA did mine.

In the boot is a tow hook it fits in the front behind a movable panel, get a mate with a car and a rope t hook it up take your car for a drive and then call out the AA.

They can do it at the roadside

182 & Porsche 986
Dirty TDC sensor - you can clean it - AA did mine.

In the boot is a tow hook it fits in the front behind a movable panel, get a mate with a car and a rope t hook it up take your car for a drive and then call out the AA.

They can do it at the roadside

We've already cleaned the tdc sensor..

but the toeing idea is a maybe for rac to come out.

182 & Porsche 986
hmm i rung the home line not the option for roadside...
it could have been fixed and happened again?

ahh i really don't know what to do.

182 & Porsche 986
turns over then stops only tries to start when its on jump leads, so i think the battery is dead, but it did same my bfs charged battery.

mechanic says it starts then cuts it self out because it's immobilized :S

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
hmm i rung the home line not the option for roadside...
it could have been fixed and happened again?

ahh i really don't know what to do.

You would have to blag it well. They will know if your lying when they find out whats wrong. My neighbor (an AA man) see this type of thing all the time. Low cut top should help your cause though ;).

L

lenny85

this happened to my mates 172!! battery broke down inside so when trying to start the immobiliser stopped it. rac came out and did something with the key, which recoded the immobiliser and hey presto started straight away! give kevster a pm he'll be able to tell you what happened

182 & Porsche 986
Thanks i think i know what you mean because it happened on my old 1.2 so we tried to do that today and it didn't work.

clio 172 cup
I'm having exactly the same problem, car is cranking then just dies, the immobiliser light is staying on and everything has been checked. Renault aren't very helpful at all. There's a place I found online that can bypass your immobiliser (remote key ltd) but they cant do it on clio models newer than 01 !!!! So I dont know what I can do...

182 & Porsche 986
It turns out i had a corroded fuse under the engine bay that was making the immobilizer come on, it went off when it was fixed.

Maybe an auto electrician can help? thats who came out to mine before i took it to renault.