ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Valeting Course Help Please

Im a keen car detailist, spend alot of time 'detailing' my own car, my parents cars and a few people from the village. I am now looking to build on my skills of detailing by completing car valeting courses and offering it to others, taking a more proffessional approach and offering a wider range of services such as paint correction etc...

So, im asking the detailists of cliosport where are the best places to undertake these courses? for examples websites, names of companies etc

I appreciate that you can not learn everything from a course about car valeting however it will help me on my way, luckily my dad has kindly offered to pay for the price of the course so the cost of the course is not an issue

Any help would be appreciated, I am located in York, so anywhere that offers these courses in the Yorkshire area would be great, however i am willing to travel futher

George

Bumder With A Buffer
Going from your post the only thing you want to do is learn paint correction??? There are courses for that. Have a gander on detailing world.

As for courses to wash a car...Fcuked if I would pay to be shown how to do that..just look at stuff on detailing world/watch videos and "experiment" on your own car???

PH1 V6
Im guessing that you may want the qualifiaction in order to show any prospective clients if your looking at setting up your own business? or am i missing the point?

good question though and im sure like anything you will learn alot from more experienced people, especially when it comes to paint correction and advice on which products to use etc. Having qualifications in any field of work will always look good to a prospective buyer so well worth it imo.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When I first became a car valeter (about 10 years ago) I got given on the job training from Autoglym.

ITs not a course as such, more just explaining what the different chemicals can and can't do. After that very brief intro, its just experience that will determine how good you are.

sorry didnt mean it to sound like i wanted to only learn paint correction, wanting to learn all aspects really, and about paying im just after a recognised sort of 'qualification' so that i can offer my services professionally if that makes sense, i dont just want to be a lad that cleans car, need people to recognise that im fully trained for it, hope that makes sense, i have been known to right rubbish before

Bumder With A Buffer
Im guessing that you may want the qualifiaction in order to show any prospective clients if your looking at setting up your own business? or am i missing the point?

good question though and im sure like anything you will learn alot from more experienced people, especially when it comes to paint correction and advice on which products to use etc. Having qualifications in any field of work will always look good to a prospective buyer so well worth it imo.

When I first became a car valeter (about 10 years ago) I got given on the job training from Autoglym.

ITs not a course as such, more just explaining what the different chemicals can and can't do. After that very brief intro, its just experience that will determine how good you are.

+1 to Daniel

Id rather someone with 5 years of experience then someone with a piece of paper that a monkey could get after 2 weeks of night classes or whatever.

you seem to have got the jist of what i was trying to say, im hoping that eventually i will be able to start a small scale valeting business, and through experience building a portfolio kind of thing and progressing onto bigger jobs with more services

+1 to Daniel

Id rather someone with 5 years of experience then someone with a piece of paper that a monkey could get after 2 weeks of night classes or whatever.

Yeah i appreciate this, however everyone has to start somewhere right? and getting the basic qualifications would be a good starting point surely

Bumder With A Buffer
sorry didnt mean it to sound like i wanted to only learn paint correction, wanting to learn all aspects really, and about paying im just after a recognised sort of 'qualification' so that i can offer my services professionally if that makes sense, i dont just want to be a lad that cleans car, need people to recognise that im fully trained for it, hope that makes sense, i have been known to right rubbish before

Id be very surprised if there is a full course on how to clean a car.

IMO all you need to do is practice/read understand products, build up a portfolio and maybe a website.

Markie23 did one recently and as far as im aware he didnt go on any form of course.

Yeah i appreciate this, however everyone has to start somewhere right? and getting the basic qualifications would be a good starting point surely

Edit See above....

Bumder With A Buffer
Thats just IMO of course. as said id rather look at someone's previous work then rely on a piece of paper.

Thats just IMO of course. as said id rather look at someone's previous work then rely on a piece of paper.

very true imo as well id rather let someone with years of experience do it, i just presumed all car valeters that offered their services to the public would of had some kind of qualifications

Bumder With A Buffer
Practice I would of thought?? I could be wrong of course.

Im sure people go on product courses etc like that Paul dalton guy (Miracle Detail)

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Mate I understand where your coming from! I'm really into cleaning my car and love it! I also clean 5 other car for £10 each just for people around my Nans area! I do it part time on a Saturday or Sunday morning! Before you spend any money on courses I'd say hand out flyers in the area you r willing to work and see how many people are interested before you start spending money on something you may not be doing in 6/12 months!! After you start getting ur regulars then starting thinking about small coures like chip repaire and small dents removlal! Just see how it goes mate!! All the best tho!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
They do a car valeting course where I work, don't think you'd want to do it though lol

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Mate, I looked into this a while back (few years) as a career path. In my research and speaking to loads of people who do it, I learnt a few things.

a) Detailing, as much fun as it would be to be polishing a millionaire's Ferrari for a living, even for the pro's, the people that are well known on detailing world, this doesn't happen often. Valeting Mrs Jones' Micra is the bread and butter work.
c) There is a huge difference between washing friends/family/your own car, and washing someone elses car to MAKE MONEY
b) When you do it for a job, you don't enjoy it half as much as you did before

The best thing you can do (and this is what I did shortly before I decided it wasn't for me) Is try to get a job at a valeting centre, so that you can appreciate:

a) The business side attached to actually cleaning cars.
b) The processes that you go through to wash a car TO MAKE MONEY which is what you have to do.
c) Learn the tricks of the trade.

If you have a decent head on your shoulders and are prepared to work you should not have a problem getting a job somewhere. I went and did a trial day somewhere, they didn't really have room for me but accepted me for a day to learn some bits, by the end of it, they were begging me to join them, they were going to fire one of the other blokes there to make room, lol. Not because I was good, but because most of the guys in those places are either foreign, or just thick, and having someone who isn't and can think on their feet is a big bonus.

If I can help you anymore PM me.