ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car WILL go in a straight line.

Clio 182 Cup
Ok
Remember my thread a couple of weeks ago aboit my car accelerating all over the place?
Well new tyres have completely solved the problem.
DO NOT EVER PUT FEDERAL TYRES ON A CLIO SPORT. They are completely cr@p and will get you into trouble on the road.
Thanks

Listerine & Poledo
gets what ya pays for I guess.

I just stick with Conti sports, it's what it came with and I'm not arguing.

I bought my 182 mid 2008, I'd wanted one ever since they were on sale - so many great reviews from motoring journalists.

Couldn't understand why, under heavy braking and acceleration, and if the road wasn't perfectly flat and smooth, it steered all over the road - it was awful. I thought there was something wrong with the suspension. The front tyres (fitted by the Renault dealer) wore out pretty quick so I put the Michelins from the back onto the front and bought new rears (was about to do a trackday and didn't want to wreck new front tyres.) The difference was night and day. Have since put Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front as well.

You obviously need to be really careful when choosing tyres for these cars. (It's mentioned in the ready-for-the-track blog.)

Clio 182 Cup
This is exactly what was happening to my car.:eek:

I've only had it since Dec 09, and it cam e with spanking Federal sporty tyres on it.... However they are utter cr@p. Really dangerous overtaking. It was getting to a point where I didn't want to boot it round country lanes because is was a bit too twitchy. And I have my Daughter in the back a lot of the time too, so safety is paramount.

It came to checking everything from tracking, ball joints, rod ends etc... and cr@p tyres was the cause. The difference is outstanding. Transformed the handling. The Federals used to pull the car to the left all the time and I thiught something was really wrong or bent on the suspension...

I went for the Michelin Pilot Exaltos.:)

RSC 182 Cup
What model Federal tyre are we talking about here? I don't have them, but a few people in Australia do on their RSC's and I've never heard anything bad from them, except that they're perhaps not the best in the wet? I think most of them are using the 595 RS-R?

As another example I've had really bad Continentals (Eco Contacts) but don't automatically say all their tyres are rubbish- because I know that's not the case.

Clio 182
ECO CONTACTS FLOL! on a clio sport? Ecos are for economic driving, they were'nt designed for tracks and ragging it around mate! Clues in the title mate ;)

RSC 182 Cup
ECO CONTACTS FLOL! on a clio sport? Ecos are for economic driving, they were'nt designed for tracks and ragging it around mate! Clues in the title mate ;)

I didn't say they were fitted to my RSC! :eek:

It was purely an example of how each manufacturer makes budget and performance tyres - the same goes for Federal. ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i had conti sport contacts on my last 172 and they nearly killed me a few times after being used to Eagle F1 GSD3's under steer city! i beleive Joe swapped them for eagle F1s too once he bought it and commented on the improvement it made!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i've just bought a ph1 172 with federals on the front. it ruins the car! im too scared to drive it properly! keep thinkin its the car but im sure its not. my last ph1 was a beast on bends, this one is gash! im too tight to waste tyres with tread on usually but im very tempted to just bin these!

just realised they're actually 'marshalls'. so take these off your xmas wish list too!

Last edited:
Add Kumho Ecstas to the tyre s**t list too.

The may aswell be called Teflon Tyres as there non stick.

And this was on a 1.4 Quiksilve 206 never mind an RS.