ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wobble under acceleration?

Hi All,

My 172 has developed an unnerving trait where it vibrates when you accelerate, its definitely not speed specific but happens when i floor it, the wheel wobbles but i can also feel it through the seat.

Any ideas what this could be, im going to get it up on a jack and have a look asap.

Thanks
James

Is it kind of a slow but quite large wobble? Can you feel it through the gear lever as well?

You may have a dry CV joint on a driveshaft, perhaps from a split CV boot - the wobble happens when the dry bit of the shaft 'sticks' rather than rotating smoothly like it should do.

Yeah, thats right actually, my MOT specified slight deterioration of cv joint boot but I haven't had a chance to look yet.

I repaired it tonight, relubed the boot and glued the rubber where it had split, more to test it than anything... drove it again and it was massively better, however still an issue at high speed.

Does anyone know where I can buy a CV Joint for the 172?

Ph1 172 (titanium)
I have exactly the same symptoms as you. I had o/s driveshaft replaced. Had all new tires all balanced. Had tracking done. Still same problem. Found another thread where someone had same symptoms. Turned out to be the box. Either shafts in the box or the diff. I think this is what I'm going to have to look at next. Not nice

clio 2006
I have exactly the same symptoms as you. I had o/s driveshaft replaced. Had all new tires all balanced. Had tracking done. Still same problem. Found another thread where someone had same symptoms. Turned out to be the box. Either shafts in the box or the diff. I think this is what I'm going to have to look at next. Not nice

Hello, did you fix your gearbox and/or fix the wobble? I'm having the same issue of vibration through the car with low rev / high torque acceleration.

clio 2006
Hello, my vibrations started after I lowered the Clio. I've just put standard springs back on it, and the vibration has completely disappeared.