ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car wont start after fitting amp!

clio 1.2 16v
just fitted an amp to my car, now it won't start!

we took the scuttle panel off the front, and then took off the wiper linkage/motor in an attempt to get the amp wire through the bulkhead. theres a rubber covered plug with a bolt securing it and i thought that would be a good place to put the amp wire through, but i was wrong cos that is just a plug, no place for new wires! in the end i just drilled a hole next to it an shoved it through and used a grommet.

but it would seem that unplugging and the plugging back in the connector has killed the car:S.

the remote central locking does not work, hazards, lights, wipers, do not work.

headunit works, and i can flash my lights and the lower spots illuminate, and with the ign on theres dash lights and i can hear the fuel pump but as you turn the key they all go out.

i think it might be some sort of immobiliser problem but i have never worked on renaults before, anybody know whats wrong with it or got any sugestions?

thanks

EDIT: it's a 2003 1.2 16v dynamique

Mondeo TDCI 130
The battery definately isnt flat? you havent left a power lead off the battery or anything?

AK

M240i
The lights etc are working so i'd presume not?

I'm guess you've not plugged everything back in/or in the right places..

clio 1.2 16v
battery is defo not flat i put it on charge it drew about 5 amps for 5 mins and then stopped pulling amps. seems fully charged. also never had problems with the battery going flat before.

battery is also defo conected , some things work just not others.

i've also tried disconnecting the neg lead for half an hour to try and reset the immobiliser or somehing but that didn't work.

clio 1.2 16v
The lights etc are working so i'd presume not?

I'm guess you've not plugged everything back in/or in the right places..

thing is we only unplugged 2 things, the wiper motor and the main connector block, and they are bothe now re-connected and theres no way i could have mixed them up

Clio
This happened to my car and the battery was on its way out.

The lights all came on and the windows went up and down. But it wouldn't turn over.

Just change the battery or get a jump start.

alien green rs133
big plug deffo connected fully, i dont wanna seem like im questioning your work but they are a poor connector

clio 1.2 16v
battery seems fine, even tried jumping it it does the same thing.

the big plug has been checked already for a good connection, i've tightened the bolt up but it does not seem to nip up. it just keeps turning although it does hold the big plug in firmly?

going to check that agian

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
You should not unplug/replug ANY of the main loom connectors while the battery is connected.

Your risking frying the ECU or UCH or anythign else in the system.

Make sure everythig is secure and also there are a few relays in that area connected to the UCH. Make sure these are fully pushed inwards.

clio 1.2 16v
big plug deffo connected fully, i dont wanna seem like im questioning your work but they are a poor connector

big plug is deffo connected fully, took it apart(again) and checked for bent pins etc, all seemd fine, sprayed some contact cleaner on and reconnected, tightened bolt up fully.

the battery was disconnected when it was unplugged/replugged the first time.

whats the UCH?

Clio 1.2 16V Dynamique
It sounds stupid I know but pull your head unit out and make sure all connections are secure as I has a similar problem and it turned out to be a dodgy connection to my head unit that caused the car not to start.

BMW M135i
Bet somethings not taken kinding to having the engine/interior loom plug disconnected whilst powered. Could be a million things there really as pretty much everything goes through it, although with some luck its just desyncronised the immobiliser codes.

Short answer is you need someone with a clip computer that knows how to use it.

Can't believe you've gone messing with the electrics without disconnecting the battery, oh well not a better way to learn I guess.

clio 1.2 16v
It sounds stupid I know but pull your head unit out and make sure all connections are secure as I has a similar problem and it turned out to be a dodgy connection to my head unit that caused the car not to start.

i'll go and check the the connections again.

and YES the battery is connected, if you read the post you'd se that some of the electrics are working fine, it just won't start.

it looks like it's something to do with the immobilizer to me, that is what i thought as soon as it wouldn't start. but how do i reset the immobiliser?

and what is a clip computer?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
i'll go and check the the connections again.

and YES the battery is connected, if you read the post you'd se that some of the electrics are working fine, it just won't start.

it looks like it's something to do with the immobilizer to me, that is what i thought as soon as it wouldn't start. but how do i reset the immobiliser?

and what is a clip computer?

You can sometimes reset the immob. If you use the search i think someone posted a re-sync procedure.

Otherwise you need a Renault Clip. Its a special diagnostic/programming machine that Renault use.

clio 1.2 16v
ok, had a bit of progress!

found a loose connector behind the fusebox, plugged that in and the car now turns over for a few secs and then cuts out, the immobiler light is a solid red. al other electrics are back to normal working fine.

i assume it needs the immobiler reset now and thats it

battery is disconected for now, another 20 mis and i'll try again. then if it still doesn't fire up i will attempt the method HAS sent me to see if i can reset it, keys may be out of sync now as they have been tried so many times whilst the connector was loose.

thanks for all the help guys, very good forum

Da

Less
Have you tried the spare key?

Sounds like the immobiliser transponder ring may be at fault.

clio 1.2 16v
found a plug disconnected behind the fusebox, plugged that in and not it attempts to start, but looks like it is being blocked by the immobiliser. immob light is a solid red.

clio 1.2 16v
well, i tried the reset procedure, got no where.........

in the end it was blind luck, i was sat in the car, locked it, and then attempted to start it, and it fired right up!

so it's back on the road, :)

AK

M240i
LOL good stuff mate.

I'd lock/unlock start/turn off let battery charge a bit etc a few times at your house before you go driving places and finding out it won't start etc