ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car won't start, help appreciated.

deannaed18

ClioSport Club Member
  Artic 182
As above

Went to work in the morning, and when I came out on my lunch break and tried to unlock the car, the central locking wouldn't open the car.
So I used the key in the passenger door and the alarm started to go off,
I tried to start the car but the battery had died from accidentally leaving the headlights on.
So I sourced some jump leads and attempted to get the car started, but it would only try to fire for about 4seconds
I assumed that the battery was just too flat to do anything, so I took the battery home and charged it up, now that it's back in the car, (fully charged) it's doing the same as before, only this time I noticed that if you turn the key half way and let the dash lights go out before turning the key nothing happens.
seems like the car thinks it's being stolen. But after a search on here about the imobiliser, it seems As if mine is fine (solid red light meaning key recognized) and I have tried both keys with the same outcome, anyone shed some light on what this might be, or anything I can do that may help determine the fault? Would be much appreciated.

DEAN.

deannaed18

ClioSport Club Member
  Artic 182
They were when the battery was flat. Now it's been charged they don't seem to be vibrating. Battery was tested after I charged it and all seemed fine, but I will check with another battery to confirm.
just don't seem like the battery is at fault as it will attempt to fire if I turn the key all the way in one swoop, but if I turn it half way and let it do the start up checks then turn the key the rest of the way, then nothing.

Dean

deannaed18

ClioSport Club Member
  Artic 182
Update

after searching for a while on various forum's, i had seen people post different tips on what could be the issue and how to resolve it, tried a few of them and nothing seemed to do the trick, then i read that if you put your key into the ignition, turn it to the position before the car will crank, then hold the button on the dash that locks/opens the doors until the red light that relates to the immobiliser goes out, then turn the key and the car should start. and sure enough it did.

not sure if this has cured my problem or if it will start doing this whenever it feels like it.

Dean