ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start. Help!!!!!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Went out to the cup last night, opened it with key fob then accidentally locked it immediely after, then opened it again. Got it went to start it and it's not cranking. Seems to be the immobiliser. I have tried the spare key and it does the same thing. Anybody any ideas what could be the problem?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Went out to the cup last night, opened it with key fob then accidentally locked it immediely after, then opened it again. Got it went to start it and it's not cranking. Seems to be the immobiliser. I have tried the spare key and it does the same thing. Anybody any ideas what could be the problem?

Take the battery off for an hour. My phase one did similar once, something just spazzes out, leaving the battery off lets things reset.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Tried disconnecting the battery for over an hour and it's still doing the same thing.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Yeah makes a clicking noise when I try to start it and it flashes quickly when doing so.

6/468 17poo
My 172 did this years ago nothing could get it to go had to go to Renault, I cannot remember the name of the part they changed but it was under the glove box and cost £400..It was a new UCH

Lou

Yeah makes a clicking noise when I try to start it and it flashes quickly when doing so.

If I remember rightly, put the key in, turn it to position 2 then press the button on the fob while turning key back to 1 then 2. It eventually fired into life.

RB Clio 182
Check the earth strap under the front passenger wheel arch, its a green strap and they tend to rot and snap causing starting issues.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Try putting the ignition on and then holding down the interior lock button thing for 5 seconds until you hear a double beep.

RB Clio 182
Put a jump lead from the negative terminal to a part of metal on the block and then try and start it, if it starts its an earthing problem.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
not tried the ideas above yet ,however does anyone think that it may just be a flat battery? car was sitting for a week without being used and it was very cold last week?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
no. not had a chance to try anything yet and im out after work for a night out. it will just have to wait. ill update later.

I went out to the cup last night, opened it with key fob then accidentally locked it immediely after, then opened it again and used the last bit of the power in the battery, so it's now flat from not using it for a while and potentially a slow power drain or perhaps battery on it's way out from the cold weather. I have tried the spare key because I was bored.

Thank me later?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
If you unlock the car and are really quick to try and start it, it can throw a hissy fit too.

Same with turning off, getting out and locking, if you're in a rush sometimes the alarm with throw its toys out the pram.

That, and battery as said, because Clio's behave like moody teenagers when the batteries aren't 100%.

Iceberg PH1 172
Sound like the transponder has failed and is not passing the key code to the ecu to deimmobilise the car. When this happened to me I used remotekey co uk

No problems since.

Happy to help via pm if you need info.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Nope. Don't think it's the battery. Bonnet won't shut either. Going to get along to rentec after new year.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
So turns out it was the battery... .... jump started bonnet catch also sorted. Took it for a long drive then gave it a good clean before tucking it away in my parents garage . Drove perfectly after not moving for 3 weeks

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
IMAG1565.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
This time of year weak batteries just get owned.

Newer cars with the modern technology rubbish is an ass.