ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start?

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
just went out to the car for the first time today, when i unlocked it i noticed the indicitors where very dim and slow.
put the ignition on, every thing came on apart from the milage, which came on about 5 seconds later. went to turn it over and nothing.
radio doesnt even turn on? all the lights on the dash are bright so i dont think its the battery, plus when you turn it over it doesnt sound like the battery is dead.
i can hear the fuel pump kicking in and i've checked all the fuses.
when you go to put the window down, is goes down about 2cm's then stops, and you have to keep going on and off.

any one got any idea's?

its a ph2 mk2 by the way, 1.2 16v on a 2005 plate.

cheers guys!

1.2 16v Clio
happend my mk2 ph2 and was the key.. the chip inside the key was broke and i needed to replace the key.. the key wouldnt register properly to turn off the immobiliser to turn over

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
thanks guys.

the immobiliser light goes out so i dont think it is the key

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
check the voltage of you battery and alternator,
could be a knackered battery,
they do all sorts of funny things when theyre on theyre way out.

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
nice one guys, when i drag my butt out of bed i'll take it off and bench charge it
i'll let you know if it works

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
right then, used the jump pack on the car yesterday evening, so thought i would take it for a spin to the top of my road and back to see how it behaved. got 3 houses down and i lost the power steering, then it just cut out.
jumped it again, sat there for about 5 mins just revving and holding it at about 2k. pulled my foot off the accelerater at it just died again, went to turn it over and nothing.

jumped it again, reverse back up the street and drove onto my drive, sat there for 15 mins once again just holding the revs at about 2k.

switched it off, then tried to start again and nothing!

any way, phoned my mate up this morning to see if i could borrow his volt metter to see if it was charging or to see if the battery wasn't holding charge.

jumped the car, and i just left it on idle outside my house for about 10mins, got in the car, went to reverse around my mothers car to get out of the drive and the steering wheel just jammed, as if it was on full lock, went half a turn the other way and the same happened again.

the service light is stayin on constantly, so is the ABS and the handbrake light.

i was thinking the alternator untill the steering went all wierd on me

UCH maybe?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hmmm, dont know about the last bit, but it sounds like your alternator is broken and not charging your battery, or you battery isnt holding its charge.

Also, check the connections to both and see if any of them have came a bit loose or somit. :)

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
checked the connections to the alternator and battery there all tight, starting to annoy me a bit now haha.

goin to run down my mates now to rob his volt meter

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
thats what my old man said, but i'd rather check the alternator behind i start spending.

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
right then, just checked the alternator and it seems to be charging fine, between 13-14v, knocked the heaters, lights and radio on and it dropped to low 13v's, knocked them off and it went straight back up to 14v's.

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
happy days, halfords jobby isit? i've seen the prices from renault aready

Megane dci 130
Iv had this problem aswell, the electric steering goes all to c**k. Its the battery as said above.

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
cheers guys, bought a battery earlier so i'll get it fitted tomorrow!

you've all been helpfull :D