ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't start

Red 1.2 Dynamique
It's happened a few times, although it always ends up starting. But tonight it won't start at all. It was turning over trying to start but just couldn't quite get there, then after a few tries it wasn't even turning over, just nothing at all when I was turning the keys. The battery light is on on the dash, but I tried jump starting the car with my dad's car and there was just nothing, not trying to turn over or anything.

Any ideas?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I would suggest leaving it a few more minutes, as it's bloody cold (meaning more amps needed) and your battery sounds KO'd.

Failing that, just go buy a new battery... If it solves your problem, great. If not, you've got a new battery which assuming your current one isnt a week old isn't going to be a bad thing.

Failing THAT, check for faulty earths, broken wires, alternator could be kaput, starter sounds ok but could be duff...

Good luck.

Red 1.2 Dynamique
I would suggest leaving it a few more minutes, as it's bloody cold (meaning more amps needed) and your battery sounds KO'd.

Failing that, just go buy a new battery... If it solves your problem, great. If not, you've got a new battery which assuming your current one isnt a week old isn't going to be a bad thing.

Failing THAT, check for faulty earths, broken wires, alternator could be kaput, starter sounds ok but could be duff...

Good luck.

I had been driving the car for about an hour before, but stopped at the shop quickly then it wouldn't start back up again.

pimp mobile Zafira
Or it could be the TDC sensor! I had a stage where mine wouldn't start. Made all the right noises but just wouldn't fire. All I did was take the sensor out give it a clean and also cleaned the connector up with WD40. Jobs a good un. Apparently it's not a permanent fix bit it'll do for now. It's a very common problem. So common in fact that there is an upgraded part now available.

Red 1.2 Dynamique
Just got it started and home. I put the jump leads back on connected with my dad's car only left it for about 10 minutes this time. Drove it home (the shop is about half a mile away) with the lights etc on, parked it up turned it off and started it a couple of times no problems.

Any final diagnosis as to what's wrong with it then? I'm not sure whether I should take it to school or not tomorrow as I don't fancy getting stranded there.

Red 1.2 Dynamique
Yeah I think I'm going to try everything, TDC sensor, alternator and buy a new battery, to try and get it squared away for good.

Clio DCI 65
Get a battery charger, take the battery out, give it a charge till its fully charged..prob take about 2-3 hours max from empty. JOB DONE. If problem persists then get a new battery. Not worth getting new one if all that is needed is a top up.