ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

carb cleaner onto the throttle bodies?

Dynamique+ 1.4
Need to get my throttle bodies clean. My dad reckons taking the air filter off and spraying carb cleaner through into them and revving the engine will work to keep it warm?

RB 182 Cup
spray loads in around and on the body with engine off then start it (should want to cut and and stuff but its 100% normal and smoke which is just the crap that was n there burning) and spray aloud which its on too. job done

Lionel Richie
throttle bodies? or throttle body?

i wouldn't be squirting carb cleaner in with the engine runnning!

Dynamique+ 1.4
well however many throttle bodies a clio 1.4 16v has. basically on a cold mornin it will cut out after youve moved off and then dipped the clutch to slow down for a junction to drop a gear etc because waters being dragged in and theres excess on the bodies thats obviously not burning so its cutting out.

been told its to do with the throttle bodys?

so spray it through where the air filter goes then turn the engine on and rev it up. i take it carb cleaners flammable then?

Lionel Richie
you only have 1 (remove it from the car to clean it)

and i doubt thats the cause, more likley to be TDC sensor

Dynamique+ 1.4
yeah but the thing is its located in a pain in the arse place to get to so ive been told and i wouldnt know how to get to it. Whats wrong with the carb cleaner idea, and wheres the TDC sensor located. Any help would be appreciated. cheers

Dynamique+ 1.4
whys it not a good idea though please can i have more than just 4 line answers. Sorry if im being abit annoying but thats all i seem to get on here sometimes when i ask a question... and how easy is the tdc sensor to get to?

Lionel Richie
its got something to do with a chemical in the carb cleaner (i forget the name) but its not a good idea to get that into the engine

happy?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Buy a haynes manual.

Dont use carb cleaner when the engine is running as its highly flammable.
Plus as fred says its got nasty shite in it.
You can clean it without taking it off but if its throttle by wire you'll need a friend to hold the throttle open while you clean.

I recommend a decent cloth that wont fall apart, and carb cleaner.

whys it not a good idea though please can i have more than just 4 line answers. Sorry if im being abit annoying but thats all i seem to get on here sometimes when i ask a question... and how easy is the tdc sensor to get to?

lol why dont you listen to fred hes the man!! take it off first and clean it!

Just take it off its not that difficult realy.

two long throrx bolt hold the air bon onto the engine block as such then 2 x10mm hold the body to the manifold.

Dynamique+ 1.4
yeah but how do i get the little bugger off? its located at the top of the engine isnt it by the air filter with the black plastic peice on the top?

Dynamique+ 1.4
Ive used carb cleaner on an engine while it was running and I also used this on my old Renault 5 while it was running, http://www.demon-tweeks.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=RED60101
I held the accelerator cable so it was at nearly full throttle and tipped it straight into the carb, It coughed and smoked loads but ran sweet afterwards. By the way im a mechanic and know a little about cars.
so thats safe to spray into the air intake when the engines runnig, then give it a good revving to clean it all out?

yeah but how do i get the little bugger off? its located at the top of the engine isnt it by the air filter with the black plastic peice on the top?

Its held on with just two bolts to the head nce you've removed the other intake air box.

Just remove it and do a proper job at cleaning it up.

Haynes manaul shows you were it is etc. Or drop me a message Im sure I've got a guide toi the engine showing where it is etc

eddeuk yahoo.co.uk

BMW M135i
He seems hellbent on using carb cleaner then let him. The clue is in the name when the clio hasn't got a carb!

Lionel Richie
fair enough, but its a bad idea, my motorsport teacher told me that, oh and he was number 1 mechanic at williams F1 but he's probably wrong

fair enough, but its a bad idea, my motorsport teacher told me that, oh and he was number 1 mechanic at williams F1 but he's probably wrong

Ever get the feeling your giving advice and no one listens unles its what they want to here ha ha

Dynamique+ 1.4
fair enough but is there anything i can use to clean the body out without taking it off then. I mean ffs why do half of you have to get so uptight when i ask a question?

BMW M135i
I've always used meths in the past, always done me proud. Would've thought any good solvent would do it.

Im not sure why anyone would wanna put carb cleaner down the intake when its running tbh? anyone that thinks this is a good idea explain please?

All itl do is screw the mix up (i would have thought)

2005 Nissan Navara
Its not a good idea because any dirt/grit/grime removed by the solvent will get passed around the valves/pistons/bores, and pose the risk of internal damage...it doesnt just magically dissappear!

Its not a good idea because any dirt/grit/grime removed by the solvent will get passed around the valves/pistons/bores, and pose the risk of internal damage...it doesnt just magically dissappear!

I did think that but i was hoping the guy that said it was fine would explain how but its gone quiet alluva sudden!