ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon wrapping bonnet, need tips!

Hey everyone,

so as title says, im going to be carbon wrapping my bonnet tomorrow or friday. Before people start hating on the idea, bonnet is in black primer atm and has faded to an almost brown colour and looks terrible.. so decided on wrapping it as a cheaper alternative to getting it professionally sprayed. :) so, anyway! yes, any tips or advice for doing this? Really dont want to mess it up as it'd be £30 put to waste.

I have never done any wrapping at all in the past and have a mate with a little experience doing it with me. I've heard off of peope and looked on youtube and have been told its best to do it on the car, although we planned on taking it off to wrap it. Which is easier? Also how do i go about getting it around the washer jets neatly? best to take them out or cut round them at the end?

Any help is greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance,
Ollie

SQ5
Best tip is not to do it.

You paid £30 for the crap wrap rather than £50 to get it sprayed the correct colour?!

Best tip is not to do it.

You paid £30 for the crap wrap rather than £50 to get it sprayed the correct colour?!

Find a place that'll do it for £50? best quote i got for bonnet respray is £100, some were even more. Dont have that sort of money just laying around for that unfortunatly.

Astra gsi turbo
iv just wrapped my dash trim, not sure if its the same but i used plenty heat and a sharp knife

Punto/Clio GTT
take washer jets out

clean the bonnet so its immaculate, no dead flies on or anything or you'll get lumps.

dry it properly, then start work on it. id suggest using a hot air gun around any lines of the bonnet so it sinks into them.

for the washer holes, just do 2 cuts in an X shape and slot the jet back through

as for the edges, just wrap it round and slice it neatly as possible

never done one before btw but thats how id do it

take washer jets out

clean the bonnet so its immaculate, no dead flies on or anything or you'll get lumps.

dry it properly, then start work on it. id suggest using a hot air gun around any lines of the bonnet so it sinks into them.

for the washer holes, just do 2 cuts in an X shape and slot the jet back through

as for the edges, just wrap it round and slice it neatly as possible

never done one before btw but thats how id do it

Yeah thats pretty much what i had in mind! i mean, ive looked at some videos on youtube and it doesnt look THAT difficult, but then saying that.. if it was simple there wouldnt be companies for doing it professionally charging hundreds of pounds. So idk. I will have to see how it goes i guess :) Looking forward to trying it out, just dont want to ruin it completely.

Clio
Best tip is not to do it.You paid £30 for the crap wrap rather than £50 to get it sprayed the correct colour?!
There's always one. He's not asking weather or not to do it, he's asking advice on how to do it, if you don't have anything helpful to say why comment?But anyway ide take the washer jets out mate I think you'll find it a lot easier

There's always one. He's not asking weather or not to do it, he's asking advice on how to do it, if you don't have anything helpful to say why comment?But anyway ide take the washer jets out mate I think you'll find it a lot easier

^ This.
Was half expecting it tbh. And yeah i think i will do. Just trying to decide whether to take the bonnet off of car to do it? Really dont know what'll be easier!

SQ5
Was just my opinion as the OP keeps complaining about expenses but then spends £30 on some wrap!

Saving an extra month and getting it sprayed would be 100x the better idea.

Was just my opinion as the OP keeps complaining about expenses but then spends £30 on some wrap!

Saving an extra month and getting it sprayed would be 100x the better idea.

I agree that spraying would be better but I need something done now as it's gone brown and looks poor as ****. £30 is more affordable than £100. May get it sprayed in the future but for now the wrap will do :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Washer jets out, have two mates either side of the bonnet pulling it taught(sp?) and you heat it (gently) and smooth it onto the bonnet

Dont heat it too much or the 'weave' will warp... And itll look s**t, I know lol

(s)Low Dynamique
Take washer jets out, wrap over them then cut an x and push jets back through.

As for wrapping it I always find it easiest to start from one side and slowly work your way to the other side. Get your friend to stand on the opposite side as to which you are starting, and get him to pull the wrap tight as you apply it - and make sure you squeegee out any air bubbles as you're working along!

There is a special primer in which you can use, that apparently makes the air bubbles come out easier: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Primer...Fibre-Vinyl-50ml-/230675551535#ht_1044wt_1018

Good luck :p

Last edited:
  clio 172 cup
as most people have said be better to remove jets and if youve bought the proper stuff(3m) if you **** it up at any point apply a little heat and it shrinks back to original shape and take your time its better to spend an hour making it mint than 20 mins to just get it done and use a hair dryer to apply it as will form better to the contours of the bonnet and make sure you have a new stanley/craft knife to remove the access to prevent you tearing it

So.. After a few hours of struggling to get it on and all the creases removed, me and my good friend Sam (Ashman1994) have managed to get it on and in mine and his opinion, it's made a massive improvement :) some pics of before .. ( was in a dismal state ) V
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341521803.455541.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341521831.769880.jpg

And now some after shots! :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341521852.404304.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341521868.987098.jpg

Pics taken on iPhone so aren't amazing but can see a difference even from them. Tell me what you think!
Ollie :)