ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon bonnet re laqure

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Has anyone diy'd relaquring a carbon bonnet? The one on the datsun is looking crap (gone milky) and i dont have the time just now to take it anywhere (nearest decent body shop is over 100 miles away) so i was thinking about doing it myself but ive had a quick google and a fair few comments about sanding the old laqure too far and messing up the carbon🤷‍♂️

HAP

ClioSport Club Member
  Petrol blue 182
Have you tried polishing the bonnet before spending money on re-lacquer? I've seen a few carbon parts that totally transform after a machine polish.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Have you tried polishing the bonnet before spending money on re-lacquer? I've seen a few carbon parts that totally transform after a machine polish.
Yup lasts a couple of days then goes back to milkyway

MAXRUNDOWN

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a fair bit of restoring carbon parts, it's just a case of flatting it back and re clearing it, but you really want to be using 2k clear as 1k rattle can stuff is rubbish. If you haven't got access to a compressor, gun and a mask then it'll be cheaper finding a bodyshop that can do it for you.
IMG_20210825_110238.jpg
IMG_20210825_123607.jpg
IMG_20210825_123237.jpg

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
I've done a fair bit of restoring carbon parts, it's just a case of flatting it back and re clearing it, but you really want to be using 2k clear as 1k rattle can stuff is rubbish. If you haven't got access to a compressor, gun and a mask then it'll be cheaper finding a bodyshop that can do it for you.View attachment 1650990View attachment 1650991View attachment 1650992
How far back did you flatten them right to the carbon or just a skim, got access to everything so 2k aint a problem

MAXRUNDOWN

ClioSport Club Member
If it's just gone dull and there's no other defects I'd probably give it a quick DA over with 800 then clear it, you'll get a good idea whether it's ready for clear or not by cleaning it off and giving it a wet down with panel wipe.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
If it's just gone dull and there's no other defects I'd probably give it a quick DA over with 800 then clear it, you'll get a good idea whether it's ready for clear or not by cleaning it off and giving it a wet down with panel wipe.
Nah other than the clear gone milky the rest is ok

MAXRUNDOWN

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like they're not cleared at all tbh, plenty of carbon stuff is just de-moulded and polished, the resin will discolour over time as it's not UV stable.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Providing i get my back sorted tomorrow gonna tackle this and me headlights at the weekend 🙈

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
@MAXRUNDOWN managed to finally get a go at me bonnet this morning, the laqure that i had the hardener was buggered so had to get new stuff yesterday, i did try my older stuff on the headlights of the car but it just crazed, and even the new stuff did the same, bloody datsuns but bonnet came out not too bad just give it a wet sand and polish either friday or Saturday as i wont be about work tomorrow or thursday but a wee before and after pic.

IMG_20230812_145605.jpg

IMG_20230815_162703.jpg