ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbs advice needed, cheap power to pound value??

RS4, Willy 2, 182 ff
Anyone got some advice on what carbs setup to go for? my williams 2 has got Kent 2002RN cams, verniers, decat, magnex exhaust, filter, chip wizzards remap now Im after the cabs to fuel it all giving a little extra power whilst on track.

all advice greatly appreciated guys, not going ITB as cars not worth spending that kind of money on..

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You won't be able to mot it. But if it's track only and you're going to trailer it that's fine.

You'll need a different fuel pump, megajolt or nodiz ecu, and some 45s (either Dellorto dhla or Weber dcoe) along with a manifold, linkage etc.

RS4, Willy 2, 182 ff
Yeh I was thinking I may need management etc, MOT really doesn't matter as strictly track car so trailered...
what results could I expect and any idea of total cost of install?

Megane r26
Have you thought about bike throttle bodies?

This is quite common in the Peugeot/Citroen groups and seems to obtain good results.

I personally thing you'll be taking a step backwards running carbs and any performance gained will be out weighed by the amount of setup, adjustment and reliability.

Clio.
I have bike carbs on my mk1 clio and its passed all its mots, and it goes like s**t off a stick, it used the original ecu and simplified loom.
Averages 56 sec laps of brands hatch with road tyres.

Megane r26
I built a mk 1 golf with a 2.0ltr ABF engine out of the mk3 gti.

That was running twin 45's and the mk2 distributor and ignition system and ecu and pulled near 200bhp.

Was an interesting build and fun and that did go through mot no problems but it did have it's fair share of problems, hence my previous post

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get Dan at danstengineering to make a manifold and run kwak ZX9 carbs with a TPS. I ran ZX6 carbs on my last car and they were great. Easy to start, but you need a manual choke. Very economical and gave good power and torque. They use vacuum for the sliders so they drive much better than traditional carbs.

Whereabouts are you based? As it's important they are jetted properly.

Megajolt would be my choice over nodiz personally, then you could run edis which gives you a limp home mode.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
I have bike carbs on my mk1 clio and its passed all its mots, and it goes like s**t off a stick, it used the original ecu and simplified loom.
Averages 56 sec laps of brands hatch with road tyres.

Sounds interesting........ tell us more. What bike carbs etc etc. Cheap ?

Ben

Clio.
I recently built a Renault 5 gtt, replaced the C1J engine with an F7P and r1 carbs on a bogg brothers inlet manifold.
That went pretty well too, and passed its mots with no probs....

RS4, Willy 2, 182 ff
M.O T is never going to be a problem as it wont see the road, id be happy to go with Bike throttle bodies ive just got to do some research on which ones are suitable and what if any management to use etc...ive heard bike carbs are also good but again research is needed to understand just what I need as a kit etc.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
M.O T is never going to be a problem as it wont see the road, id be happy to go with Bike throttle bodies ive just got to do some research on which ones are suitable and what if any management to use etc...ive heard bike carbs are also good but again research is needed to understand just what I need as a kit etc.

Read post number 7

RS4, Willy 2, 182 ff
Read post number 7

I get ya now, I wasn't aware that's all I'd need, I'm looking at a few sets on the bay at the moment, 40s, 45s and zx900s zzr1100s i will phone boggbrotgers for their opinion and a manifold to suit tomorrow..

cheers.

Last edited:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I get ya now, I wasn't aware that's all I'd need, I'm looking at a few sets on the bay at the moment, 40s, 45s and zx900s zzr1100s i will phone boggbrotgers for their opinion and a manifold to suit tomorrow..

cheers.

Dan is cheaper than Bogg brothers, he also makes velocity stacks for them.

You can get a good set zx6(38mm butterfly) or zx9(40mm butterfly) carbs for around £40. A manifold is £140 from Dan. Filters are £30. Megajolt is around £180 and if you want a loom making I know someone who does them in their spare time.

Clio.
If you were after a set of bike carbs to bolt straight on, jetted to a cammed F7R, give me a shout, also have a new/unused mega jolt and loom in a box.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its already been mapped for the cams that are in it, why would you want to revert to the inaccuracy of carbs?

Carbs belong in the 70s not on a williams.

RS4, Willy 2, 182 ff
If its already been mapped for the cams that are in it, why would you want to revert to the inaccuracy of carbs?

Carbs belong in the 70s not on a williams.

But the carbs will be a good performance gain and on a track only car that's all it's about...
they might be a dated addition but notable gains, standard injection was always a compromise economy V performance...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But the carbs will be a good performance gain and on a track only car that's all it's about...
they might be a dated addition but notable gains, standard injection was always a compromise economy V performance...

Depends on the manifold design etc, most bike carb (and bodies) conversion woefully underperform.

Personally if you want to do it on the cheap I would go for a set of bike bodies which is no harder to fit than carbs, and a microsquirt for 300 quid. FAR easier to get the fuelling correct then.

Clio.
Depends on the manifold design etc, most bike carb (and bodies) conversion woefully underperform.

Personally if you want to do it on the cheap I would go for a set of bike bodies which is no harder to fit than carbs, and a microsquirt for 300 quid. FAR easier to get the fuelling correct then.

Really and and truly there's only one carb jet to be sorted on the rollers and that's the fuelling set.....but I'd agree that the manifold can be a major factor.
Bikes of that era rarely went out of tune and revved to 12/13,000 rpm. The body of the carb can easily flow twice it's designed capacity, for simplicity and bang for buck, the carbs are right up there.