ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carriage of Camera gear ( Afghanistan)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I know some of you want to know what gear I use, and how it is carried.

I have the choice of 2 weapons. Carbine/or Rifle.

I carry 2 x D3's 70-200mm and a 24-70mm with a 14-24mm in my bag.

the carriage of 2 cameras is a pain in the arse but essential to be able to react to any situation.

Be interested to know if any of you know of a shorter/ stronger camera strap on the market.
The D3 strap is crap!, I have made my own short strap from a section of my Dogs lead that seems to work fine.

I am hoping to get some manufactured - needs to be no longer than 10" length, with reinforced D buckles on the ends, and a D buckle in the centre.

We tend to have everything clipped on, but needs have the ability to be removed quickly. We also tend to carry both cameras externally as you need wide/telephoto all the time.
You also don't want to be removing lenses whilst out on the ground as the whole "sand" issue.
I also carry a soft paintbrush for the front of my lens ( which has a UV filter) and never go anywhere without a Chamois rag.

Missing from this pic is my daysack which usually holds 25kg + of extra kit and water.

Something else to mention are the Lens hoods....Nikon ones are crap, they either fall off or crack from the slightest knock, getting in and out of Heli's are the usual culprits.
I am on the look out for a rubber lens hood - which I sure are out there somewhere.

Any budding designers out there that could design me a decent strap give me a shout.

A soldier in need!!!

_LKG0981.jpg

_LKG0979.jpg

_LKG0976.jpg

_LKG0983.jpg

_LKG0980.jpg

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
just out of interest, do you struggle with the V12s out there? I've got a pair for Airsoft and find they fog quite easily.

Cupra
Amazing. Do you have to fall in line with all the other soldiers or are on your own mission so to speak?

LY 182 FF CUPPED
we tend to be "bidded for" and a request will go into my boss who is the head of Media operations, he will then decide whether or not he can make a story from it in order to go into a either a regional newspaper or a national newspaper.
Failing that I can ask to go out with almost any unit, people will always. want a photographer. The beauty is that I am ex infantry, so I can hold my own on the front line - which is far easier and safer than carrying a civilian journalist.

I am up in a chinook for the whole day next week because they simply want so "GUCCI" photos of the team.

BMW F31
awesome photo's again mate!

kit looks heavy! and the D3's look difficult to carry everywhere.

i'll show Sam these photo's as she moans how the D700 is a pain to carry at weddings, these photo's should stop her whining lol!!