ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat buzzing & car out of warranty

Well, thats the situation. Im aware that the cat is about £800 - based upon people paying £200ish @ a 20% contribution.... What should I do? A de-cat would be the cheapest option but there is the problem of the "post" lambda sensor - isnt there? Ive also got the twin cat exhaust.... Spoke to Nick @ HP earlier in the year but I dont think he had one off the shelf.....K-tec racing dont say if theirs is mk2 compatible....there is also the question of the noise increase - if there is. Its already quite vocal with the Powerflow....

The current buzzing bugs me and I dont think Ill be able to get the dealer to do anything about it. What pisses me off is the fact Renault CS told me I had another 17 months warranty after I quoted the chassis # this time last year. Called up this year "just to check" and was told it ran out 29/11 last year...AARRGGHH....:mad:...if only I had known....even found the post I made when I got the "good" news last year.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

The major problem arises when its M.O.T. time if you decat it.

Dont think the extra noise will be that noticable tho if you do decat it.

There is no law saying that you need to have a cat fitted. BUT, there is a law saying that your car must pass a certain emmissions test at MOT time and a cat most often helps to get the emmissions below the requied level. A small number of cars actually pass the emmissions test without a cat fitted.

Going on my experience, yes you will notice the noise difference with a de-cat pipe!

Have you checked the gaskets between the cat and the downpipe/rest of the exhaust? That might be causing the buzzing.

Ben H: No, I had Kwik Fit stand underneath the car while I tokk it near the limiter...Im pretty sure its the 172 4k buzzing problem. I had it replaced about 2 months after having the car - it came back!

Not too concerned about the MOT as I have another 22 months before that - its more to do wih the fact that Im concerned how the ECU will beahave without its sensor(s).......

Now its out of warranty, I cant afford to make a mistake.

Clio 200 FF

so if youve got 22 months till you mot the car must be 14 months old? if this is the case your warranty should still be valid as its for 3 years.

i had my cat replaced under warranty this week, car registered 11/01

Robby: Mines an import registered in the UK, 12/01/02 - registered with the dealer, 29/11/01 - apparently.......their (Renault CS) stance is that as it was a pre 01/01/02 car it only comes with 1 years warranty as opposed to 01/01/02 onwards which have at least a 2 year pan-european warranty....

My only hope is that they just do it if I book it in.....